Skip to content

Saint Joseph Traditional Cache

Hidden : 2/16/2008
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   regular (regular)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Services are held Saturdays at 5:00 and Sunday Mornings, so please avoid caching during these times, as the parking lot is small, and we do not want to interfere with the parishioners! Please, park in the parking lot and walk to the cache site, so you may appreciate the area!


Saint Joseph Settlement

The quiet rural settlement of Saint Joseph is comprised of homes and farms along Marshall-Wetzel county line. The settlers emigrated to the area in the 1800's from northern European villages within present day Germany. Tracts of land, five to one hundred acres in size, were purchased from Gunnin Bedford and Isaac Hoge, and homes of hewn logs were built. It was known in those early days as The "German" Settlement.

Life in the settlement has traditionally centered around Saint Joseph Parish, shining proudly atop a high knob among the rolling hills. Within the parish is a church with cemetery, rectory, convent, school and community hall. The parish served all the needs of the close knit community, therefore no civil government existed.

The land of the parish was deeded to Bishop Whalen by Rachael and Isaac Hoge, and the community of Saint Joseph began June 5, 1853. A hewn log school was erected in the next year, which also served as the church until the first church was built in 1856.Traveling priests came to the church to serve the parishioners, who took turns providing the priests' transportation. The cemetery came to be that same year upon the first death in the congregation, of George Hoffman, October 12 1856.

The original cemetery is encircled with statuary depicting the stations of the cross, a tribute left by Victor Messey who died in 1870. Traditional black "iron" crosses, imported from the motherland, mark some early graves.

In 1873, Saint Joseph became an independent parish with its' own resident priest. A new, larger church was built upon the site of the old one, in 1888..

The native Germanic language was used in worship, and in the lessons taught the old log schoolhouse, until 1910. The education of the students was taken over by the Pallottine Missionary Sisters, an education and nursing order headquartered in Hamburg, Germany, in 1922-23. A larger school with two classrooms, chapel and music room was erected, along with the convent, in 1926.

In the 1930's a unique arrangement was devised between the parish an Marshall County Schools, allowing the parochial school to become a public school, but still be taught by the nuns. One of the sisters was employed by the Board of Education, while the other was paid by the parish. In exchange for books and educational materials provided by the county, the school was available rent-free, and the transportation costs were paid by the parish. Anyone who wished to attend the school was welcome. The school served students in grades 1 through 8 until 1978. A preschool is now available in the parish, continuing the educational tradition.

Many people educated at the school reside in the settlement, still. One can see familiar family names on the mailboxes at the homes on the hills and in the valleys. The country roads, and the hilltop parish provide panoramic views of the ridges in West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio. We hope you will enjoy the historic beauty of Saint Joseph!


Bullfrog Tracks-clip artterratoads        

Additional Hints (No hints available.)