Ormeau Park
The demesne at Ormeau was home of the Donegall family. The
second Marquis moved there in 1807 and extended Ormeau House to
accommodate his large household. The estate was sold in 1860s to
Belfast Corporation to pay off family debts. Subsequently the land
was opened in 1871 as Ormeau Park, the first public park in
Belfast. It remains one of the largest parks in the city – a
successful collection of horticulture, recreation and informal
landscaping.
There are tress from many different northern Hemisphere
countries growing in Ormeau. These include the oriental plane from
the Balkans, contorted willows from China, cedars from Lebanon and
maples from North America.
There is an educational trail and an orienteering route through
the park, for which there is guide pack Tel: 028 9066 2259
Superintendent’s House - This Victorian House was built
for the park superintendent, who was originally supposed to stay in
the property. This house has recently been renovated and is now
occupied after many years of lying derelict.
Walled Garden - The walled garden, which now contains the
service yard and bowling greens, was originally associated with
Ormeau House. Parts of the wall are original, some sections have
had to be repaired.
Bandstand - One of the features of Belfast’s Victorian
parks was the bandstands. This one in Ormeau is one of the few that
survives today.
Bell - It was once the custom to ring a bell in a public
park to indicate closing time. (from-visitSouthBelfast.com)
THE CACHE is a small tab-lock container, camouflaged and
with geocaching sticker. When placed it contained a log book,
pencil, sharpener, stash note, FTF badge and few small swaps. There
are paths for most of the way and it is only at the final few
metres that it is necessary to walk off track. Could be accessed
with a stroller.