The given coordinates, N 56° 00.250, W 002° 30.993, are for the Car Park beside the Leisure Pool, which is the recommended starting point for this cache.
At each point of the tour you will find one (or more) date(s).
1. N 56° 00.269, W 002° 30.939 - This sculpture, to the memory of the fisherwives of Dunbar who made the arduous journey with their creels of fish from Dumbar to Lauder, a distance of 29 miles, was erected in 201A . Note the row of fishermen's cottages below the sculpture: these cottages were erected in 1935 when the infamous Cat’s Row, a terrace of disease ridden hovels was demolished.
2 N 56° 00.243, W 002° 30.972 - The first Methodist Society was set up in Dunbar in 1755, four years after John Wesley visited the Burgh. The Chapel was built in 1764 and enlarged in 18B7.
Continue up Victoria Street and enter the High Street.
The next 5 buildings are all in the High Street.
3 No 123 High Street
19C5 and 19D8
4 No 95 High Street
19E7
5 No 94 High Street - (above the Butcher’s Shop)
189F
6 No 69 High Street - This building was formerly the George, or St George, Hotel. Have a look at the painting of St George and the Dragon on the ceiling of the portico above the entrance. It is one of the oldest buildings in Dunbar. It was erected in 1G25 and renovated in 18H8
7 No 32 High Street - Built in 190J as the General Post Office. Set in the wall are footholds shod with brass with handholds on the window ledges above. These were used by night duty policemen so that they could hoist themselves up and shine their torches on the night safe within.
Continue south
8 N 55° 59.956, W 002° 30.811 - Dunbar Bowling Club was established in 18K8.
Now retrace your steps, back down the High Street and take a detour, left, at the West Port.
9 N 56° 00.119, W 003° 31.064 - No 6 Friarsbank Terrace 187L
10. N 56° 00.255, W 002° 31.054 - The sculpture “The Girl and the Swan” by David Annand was unveiled on 1M May 1998.
From this point you have an excellent view of the imposing façade of Lauderdale House, one of the finest buildings in Dunbar. Built as Dunbar House by Captain James Fall in 1734, it was renamed after Captain Fall sold it to the Lauderdale family in 1788. The house was bought by the War Office in 1855 and converted into barracks, becoming known as the Castle Park Barracks. After the War Office finally left Dunbar for good in the 1950s the property was acquired by East Lothian Council in 1962 (for the princely sum of £9,775). The building gradually fell into decay although some parts remained serviceable and were used by various organisations from time to time. Finally, in 1995, Lauderdale House was fully refurbished and converted into flats.
The final is N BG° E(C-D).(A-3)(H-C)(K-C), W 00D° (K-B)F.(M+F-G)(K-G)E
A+B+C+D+E+F+G+H+J+K+L+M = 50