How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Only house standing in the ghost town of Shafter Lake, Texas.
In 1908 the population of Shafter Lake was about 500. It has 3 hotels and a couple of trade stores. The editor of the paper advertised that there were vast fields of green lush grass and fresh water in the lake. The grass wasn't green, and the water was alkaline, because there is no outlet the water just sits there. In 1910 there was a vote on whether Andrews or Shafter Lake was the County Seat. Shafter Lake lost, and the population dwindled down to just a few families. In 1916 a tornado went through what was left and destroyed every thing except one house. It happened to be the Post Masters house, and his descendants live the newer house next door. There is a State Historical Marker on the house, so don't be afraid to go look at it. It is east of Frankle City on Ranch Road 1967, between Highway 385 and Highway 176.
Guvf vf gbb rnfl gb unir n fcbvyre.
- GateResident Reba Johnson closes the front gate at her home as she heads to school. (Photo courtesy of Andrews County Library)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum