Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
AngelPicks first contribution to the SideTracked series of caches.
Redhill station began its days in conflict. The two main-line railways leaving London in a southwards direction, the LB&SCR and the SER, had, by parliamentary decree, to use the same route from London to Redhill. The inevitable conflict led to the building by the LB&SCR of the Quarry Line avoiding Redhill, still used by fast trains. Consequently, few trains on the Brighton Main Line call here. There were originally two stations at separate sites in the area that had "Redhill" in their name. First to open was the LB&SCR’s Redhill and Reigate Road in 1841, followed by the SER's Redhill in 1842. LB&SCR promptly renamed its station "Redhill". The SER closed its station two years later. The present Redhill station is the SER's second station which opened in 1858. It was originally named Red Hill Junction, only changing its name to Redhill in 1929. As for the other Redhill station, it changed its name to Reigate in 1843 before closing in 1844. This intended as a quick cache and dash, don't look suspicious, although it is in a quieter part of the station.