The quickest route is to leave the station take an immediate right towards the BT Police building, through the automatic doors and down the stairs to the subway. At the end of the subway head left to the main road (A4124). Please treat this very busy road with caution - there is a pedestrian crossing just 100 yards down the road so rather than risking life and limb do please use it
It is worth noting that the railway station does provide 20min free parking - although it is intended for those using the station itself
We have Motorway Mayhem. We have A-Road Anarchy (cos there aren’t many Motorways in Wales!). But what about public transport users?
SideTracked Caches are intended to provide quick Cache-and-dashes at Train Stations.
For more information on SideTracked Caches, please visit the SideTracked website.
About Wolverhampton Upper & Lower Stations
The first station on this site was opened in 1852 by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR). The only visible remnant of the original station is the Queen's Building, the gateway to Railway Drive which was the approach road to the station, which nowadays is a cafeteria serving Wolverhampton bus station. Three years later the Great Western Railway (GWR) opened a second station, located behind the older station on lower ground, which became known as the Wolverhampton Low Level station, the other becoming known as Wolverhampton High Level
At nationalisation in 1948, Wolverhampton High Level was run by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS)
The present Wolverhampton station dates from 1965, when the High Level station was completely rebuilt as part of the modernisation programme which saw the West Coast Main Line electrified. It consisted of three through platforms (the present platforms 1, 2 and 3). In the 1980s, a parcels siding was converted into a south-facing bay platform (the present platform 5), and a new north-facing bay was constructed (the present platform 6)
More recently (in 2004), a new through platform (platform 4) was constructed on the site of infrequently-used sidings. This has greatly enhanced the capacity of the station. A new footbridge was also constructed, to allow access to the new platform but also to improve access to the existing ones. A more comprehensive redevelopment of the station and surrounding area was announced on October 18th 2006