This is 1 of 4 "Walk" caches that we have placed here in the downtown area. The other 3 being "A Walk Through Houston's History - Part 1", "A Walk Through Houston's History - Part 2" and "A Walk Through Houston's History - Part 3". We know that these four caches are a lot of work, especially during Houston's typical hot and humid climate, so we're going to reward you with a collectible Geocoin once you've completed all of four of them!
Tranquility Park commemorates the Apollo 11 moon landing and also contains memorials for the Challenger and Columbia Shuttle disasters. This cache will take you to some of the sights in this park.
- The cache is not located at the listed coordinates, but they will lead you to the first part of the puzzle.
- You are looking for a waterproof match container located somewhere in the park.
- You will not need to leave the walkway to retrieve this cache.
- Be sure to bring your own pen and please replace the cache back exactly as you found it. Otherwise, it will be visible to anyone passing by.
- With it being difficult to get a good GPS reading downtown, I used Google Earth to get the final coordinate numbers. So if you are using a smart phone in the field, it may be easier to enter the final coordinates into its map program to locate the cache than trying to following a bouncing gps signal.
- Depending on the time of day, there could be many muggles around so cache with caution! :)
Now, on to the hunt!
Step 1 - Go to N 29 45.625 W 095 22.050
At this location, face east. You will see 4 large plaques. Look at the bottom of the text on the left most plaque. There are 5 numbers there.
- A = the 3rd digit - the 5th digit.
- B = the 4th digit - the 5th digit.
- C = the 4th digit - the 2nd digit.
- D = the 1st digit + the 2nd digit.
- E = the 2nd digit + the 5th digit.
To verify, A + B + C + D + E should equal 22
Step 2 - Go to N 29 45.CDE W 095 22.BAD
You will see a circular plaque located in the ground here. There is a name and date, in small print, at the top that will not be used in this part of the puzzle. There is also larger print circling the plaque. Count the number of the “larger print” words. You should get a two digit number.
- F = The 1st digit of the # of words that you counted - the 2nd digit of the # of words that you counted.
- G = The # of words that you counted on the plaque - 2.
- H = The # of words that you counted on the plaque - 7.
To verify, F + G + H should equal 13
(You will soon be heading to Tranquility Park North, aka Shuttle Memorial Park. There is a walkway under Rusk Street, for those with younger cachers or those who just want to avoid crossing the street.)
Step 3 - Go to N 29 45.CGH W 095 22.FGD
You will find a memorial here with a plaque on it. You will see stars on the top and bottom of the plaque. Directly above the bottom, middle star is a date.
- I = the last # of that date + 1.
Step 4 - Go to N 29 45.EFD W 095 22.FIG
You will find a second memorial here, also with a plaque. Count the stars on it. You should come up with a 2 digit number. (Do not include the sun as a star)
- J = The 1st digit + the 2nd digit.
Finally, on to the cache!
Step 5 - Go to N 29 45.JCH W 095 22.BF9
Remember, you will not need to leave the walkway to retrieve this cache, so no need to walk through the landscaping.
I hope you enjoyed your tour of the park.
Congrats to sonoraqb2006 for being FTF!