Agios Nectarios is a chapel on the eastern outskirts of Gonia alongside the Old National Road between Rethymno and Hania. From the chapel as well as Gonia, there is a good wiew over the inland against Krioneritis in southwest and the White mountains in the west.
Gonia is the seat of the Municipality of Nikiforos Fokas. It is situated on a hill affording a panoramic view, 11km along the old national road from Rethymnon to Hania via Atsipopoulo and Prines.
Gonia is mentioned in Venetian censuses carried out by Barozzi (1577) and Kastrofilakas (1583) and Vasilikatas (1630), as well as in the Ottoman census of 1671 and the Egyptian one of 1834. In the 1881 and 1900 censuses it is ascribed to the Municipality of Atsipopoulo, while in 1920 it is named as the seat of its own agricultural municipality; eight years later it was the seat of a community.
Today Gonia has a population of 400 and is the seat of the Municipality of Nikiforos Fokas. It is in the same ward as the village of Agios Andreas, a beautiful historic settlement containing fine examples of traditional architecture.
Information about Gonia from http://www.interkriti.org/nikfokas
Take a trip to Gonia, park your car around the main square, and walk through the narrow streets.
Please lock the box well and hide it as found.
Gonia main square: