Ponta do Morro
Tip of Morro
"Chapels" is a Village of the Municipality of Ponta Delgada situated 13 km to the NNO capital of the island of San Miguel in the Azores archipelago,
consists of about 17 km2 of land and is inhabited by around 3,800 people.
The main area is the production of wine and fruit, for this reason the "farms" are quite common. Although Chapels is a parish in free development in the tertiary sector,
the primary sector still predominates particularly in agriculture and fisheries. The momentum of population increase and the installation of generating units banking,
insurance, health services, safe, conservative and hotel units, several shops, centres of education, sports and culture.
Chapels was elevated to a Town in 1839 and county in 1940, but the lack of socio-economic resources to stem this category has led to the withdrawal of the charter in 1853.
Raise the parish council is to, even today, the biggest dream of "Capelense."
The architecture of the parish has fine examples, then that the main monuments to visit are the Church, the chapels of Sant'Ana, Santa Rita,
Our Lady of the Rosary and Our Lady of Conception. The Count of the Solar Fenaes, the House of Morro,
the house of Manuel Andrew Morgado and other manor houses should also be the target of attention of the visitor.
The whaling activity was for many years a major source of wealth of the parish, and the means of livelihood for many families.
Even today we can see the old "Factory of the Whale", in Wells of San Vicente Ferreira.
It is fairly common knowledge halt with former whalers and deliciarmo us with fantastic stories.
Every year it held a "Week of Baleeiro," whose main objective is to honor those who "gave fight" the whale. Of course,
the animation is great and this week, because of summer festival, attracts many people from across the island.
( Please log in English )