Skip to Content

Traditional Geocache

Puolalanmäki

A cache by kukkamaaria Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 8/13/2008
In Finland
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Related Web Page

Cache Issues:

  • This cache is temporarily unavailable. Read the logs below to read the status for this cache.
Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Peruspurkki viihtyisässä Puolalanpuistossa Turun taidemuseon läheisyydessä.
A basic cache in the pleasant Puolala park near Turku Art Museum.

Puolalanmäki on yksi Turun seitsemästä kukkulassa, muut kukkulat ovat Kakolanmäki, Samppalinnanmäki, Aninkaistenmäki, Yliopistonmäki, Vartiovuorenmäki ja Kerttulinmäki. Puolalanmäki kuului Maarian pitäjässä sijaitsevaan Puolalan kylään, josta se liitettiin Turkuun 1600-luvulla. Asutusta mäellä on ollut jo 1500-luvulla. Keskiajalla Puolalanmäellä sijaitsi spitaalisten hoitolaitos Pyhän Yrjänän hospitaali. Hospitaali siirrettiin Nauvon Seilin saareen 1623, jolloin vanhat rakennukset poltettiin.

Vuonna 1775 Turussa paloi ensimmäisen kerran, jonka jälkeen mäkeä asuttivat puuhökkeleissään merimiehet ja käsityöläiset. Rakennukset säästyivät Turun toisesta palosta vuonna 1827. Palon jälkeen Puolalanmäelle sekä Vartiovuorenmäelle pystytettiin palotornit, joista palotarkkailijat tarkkailivat kaupunkia. Palovaroitus annettiin torveen puhaltamalla ja palotornin salkoihin vedettiin liput merkiksi siitä missä kaupunginosassa savusi.

Viimeinen palovaroitus mäeltä annettiin 1902 vaakahuoneen palaessa, sillä kahden vuoden päästä tilalle oli noussut komea G.Nyströmin piirtämä jugendtyylinen taidemuseo. Vuosisadan alun molemmilla puolilla mäen ympärille nousi paljon muitakin kauniita rakennuksia, joiden yksityiskohdissa riittää katseltavaa.

Puolalanpuistoa alettiin istuttamaan 1800-luvun lopussa. Mäen istutustöissä on käytetty esikuvana Tukholman mäkipuistoja. Puiston alue on 3,6 hehtaaria ja siellä kasvavat harvinaiset hopea- ja laakeripoppeli sekä sokerivaahtera. Puolalanmäelle mahtuu taidemuseon lisäksi 2 leikkipuistoa, lukio sekä paljon avointa nurmea, jota kansoittaa kesäisin turkulaisnuoriso.

Mäellä on ollut aiemmin kätkö Puolalanpuisto / Puolala Park (Turun ytimessä 2) (GC1F5VN), joka jästittiin useaan otteeseen ja joka arkistoitiin ennenkuin tämän kätkön tekijä aloitti kätköilyn. Toivotaan uudelle kätkölle parempaa onnea, mäki ansaitsee kätkön.

Jos vierailet kätköllä, kannattaa käydä myös taidemuseossa. Museo on avoinna ti-pe 11-19 ja la-su 11-17. Perjantaisin klo 16–19 on museoon vapaa pääsy!

Kätkö on palannut alkuperäiseen paikkaansa 6/2014.


In English (Thanks to geopummi for translating.)

Puolalanmäki is one of the seven hills of Turku. The other hills are Kakolanmäki, Samppalinnanmäki, Aninkaistenmäki, Yliopistonmäki, Vartiovuorenmäki and Kerttulinmäki.

Puolalanmäki was part of Puolala village in Maaria parish and was made a part of Turku in the 17th century. The hill had settlements already in the 16th century. In the Middle Ages the St. George hospital for lepers was located on Puolalanmäki. The hospital was moved to the Seili island in Nauvo in 1623 and the old buildings incinerated.

In the year 1775 Turku burnt for the first time. After that the hill was populated by sailors and craftspeople in wooden huts. The buildings were spared in the second fire of Turku in 1827. After the fire fire towers were built on both Puolalanmäki and Vartiovuorenmäki. Fire guards observed the city from the towers. The fire warning was given by sounding a horn and flags were raised signifying which part of the city was in fire.

The last fire warning from the hill was given in 1902 when the cargo terminal was on fire. After two years the tower was replaced by an impressive Jugendstil art museum designed by G. Nyström. At the turn of the century many other beautiful building with interesting details were built around the hill.

The Puolala park was planted at the end of the 19th century. The plantations on the hill were modelled after the hill parks of Stockholm. The park area is 3,6 hectares and hosts the rare white poplar, laurel-leaf poplar and sugar maple. In addition to the art museum Puolalanmäki has two playgrounds, a high school and lots of open lawn that is populated by the youth of Turku during summers.

If you visit the cache you are also advised to visit the art museum. The museum is open Tue - Fri from 11 am to 7 pm and Sat-Sun from 11 am to 5 pm. On Fridays entry is free from 4 pm to 7 pm!

The cache was re-hidden to it's original location 06/2014.

Lähteet:
Turun Sanomien nettilehden arkisto
Wikipedian artikkeli Puolanmäestä
Näyttelyjulkaisu: Turun mäkipuistot : arkistonäyttely pääkirjaston aulassa, Linnankatu 2 : 12. - 30.11.2007

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[Fi]Eäaava gnxnan/nyyn
[En]Oruvaq naq haqre gur qenva cvcr

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

2,793 Logged Visits

Found it 2,670     Didn't find it 14     Write note 74     Temporarily Disable Listing 7     Enable Listing 6     Publish Listing 1     Needs Maintenance 8     Owner Maintenance 9     Update Coordinates 2     Post Reviewer Note 2     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 36 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 8/12/2017 6:47:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time (1:47 AM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page