York Micro #9 SideTracked
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A 35mm placed near the Railway Station. Co-ords are out by 6-7 metres - read hint
The first York railway station was a temporary building on Queen Street outside the walls of the city, opened in 1839 by the York and North Midland Railway, and was the terminus of the original trunk route for trains to London, via Derby and Birmingham. A second station, inside the walls, was built by George Townsend Andrews in 1840 and opened on 4 January 1841. This station closed in 1877 when the present station opened but remained in use for a further 88 years as carriage storage space. Andrews also designed the neo-Tudor arch where the walls were breached and the hotel across the head of the lines, completed in 1853. This station was the first to incorporate a hotel in its structure, and the building, now used as offices, still stands (on Toft Green/Tanner Row), although the train-shed was largely demolished in 1965.
It was replaced by the present station, designed by the North Eastern Railway architect Thomas Prosser and William Peachey. On completion in 1877, it had 13 platforms and was the largest in the world.
In 1909 new platforms were added, and in 1938 the current footbridge was built. The building was damaged during the Second World War and extensively repaired in 1947. In 2006-7, the approaches to the station were reorganised in order to improve facilities for bus, taxi and car users as well as pedestrians and cyclists. The former motive power depot now houses the National Railway Museum.
va objy bs ynetr gerr oruvaq ohf fgbc