Skip to content

Shuffle Down to "Scuffletown!!" Traditional Cache

Hidden : 8/28/2008
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
2.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Short trip back on a Gravel Road. Should not be to hard to finds. There is Tree cover all around.

Scuffletown got its start in 1800 when Jonathan Thomas Stott-(Scott)-(Fox)he was Full Blood Shawnee.He married Mary Polly Cooper a full blood Cherokee. They had two sons Jonathan Stott and Thomas Scott during the Cherokee removal there father was shot and died in shawneetown illinois 1838 He ran a tavern in the area that passing river traffic could easily access. Scuffletown got its name from the flatboat people coming down the Ohio River the Cherokee played stick ball and had wrestling matches right out side the tavern/trading post. The white people seen this as scuffling. According to the Annals and Scandals of Henderson County by Maralea Arnett, "Since he kept a good supply of liquor, it became a rendezvous for flatboatmen and others on the river. Often a general fight developed after several hours of drinking and the place received the name of Scuffletown." A school was built there sometime around 1817. The first church was built in 1830 at the Vanada farm. A tobacco stemmery was built in 1860 and shipped 400 to 450 hogsheads per year to Europe. A steam gristmill and blacksmith shop soon followed. In addition to crops of tobacco and corn, Scuffletown was noted for its large number of pecan trees. The site witnessed numerous Civil War-era activities. It may have been the intended target of a raid by a handful of Confederate cavalrymen from Tennessee led by Captain Jake Bennett. It was Colonel's Johnson set up his cannon a few miles below Scuffletown to take Newburgh. The Silver Lake No. 2, a sternwheel packet (steamboat) weighing some 129 tons and outfitted with six cannons capable of firing 24 pound shot, stopped at Scuffletown during its patrols of the Ohio. In 1863, eight Union companies of infantry and one company of artillery were stationed at Scuffletown to protect the area of Confederate raiders. Scuffletown is mentioned in the Civil War account "Operations of the Mississippi Squadron during Morgan's Raid." In 1893 the Southern Cherokee Nation were Welcomed to Kentucky in Scufflown and recognized as an Indian tribe by Governor John Y. Brown. The Southern Cherokee is still living on the Green River today. According to an atlas originally printed and copy written in 1895 by the Rand McNally Corporation, downtown Scuffletown had a population of 71. In 1868, Scuffletown got a post office, which remained in operation until after the 1913 flood, closing in January 1914. A larger flood in 1937 destroyed all that remained of the town. The area is now referred to as the Scuffletown Bottoms. There is parking off the Main Road. Your looking for a Camo Painted (Grey & Black) Pill Bottle with a Log Only, So Please BYOP & Replace as you found it. Thank You!

 

Additional Hints (No hints available.)