Founded in 1874 the North Shore Rowing Club is one of the country’s’ oldest clubs.
Originally located in on King Edward Parade in Devonport (the building is now occupied by the Sea Scouts), it moved to the Pumphouse at Lake Pupuke in the 1960’s and on to its present site in 1974.
The club won its first Red Coat in 1898 with PR “Pop” Graham’s win off Cheltenham Beach. The venue has been officially recorded as “Lake Takapuna, Auckland”.
Since the 1980’s the club has produced many fine rowers including Conrad Robertson and Keith Trask World Champions in the Coxed Four in 1983 and Olympic Champions in the Coxless Four in 1984. Barrie Mabbott won Bronze in the Coxed Four at the same Olympics and was also a member of the 1983 World Champion Eight. Mike Stanley, Roger White-Parsons and Andy Hay were members of World Champion in Eights in 1982 and 1983, while Eric Verdonk won bronze medals in the Single Sculls at the 1998 Olympic Games and 1991 World Championships.
Most recently former member Nicky Coles won gold in the Coxless Pair at the 2006 World Championships.