Saturday, November 22, 2008
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Welcome to the first official event of the MRGC (Macedon Ranges Geocachers) to be held in Gisborne on the night after the CITR event(GC1EE3T).
This event is pretty informal but a chance to sit around and socialize with other cachers into the night and perhaps again in the morning.
The event does have a rough agenda..:
6.00pm - BBQ is heated up.. Kettle goes on..
7.30pm discussion about GSAK..:how people use it? do they use it? tips from people experienced in using it etc. VK3jap will have a projector and will be giving live demo's of GSAK(as also will others hopefully)
8.30pm Pocket Queries - understanding how they can really work for you.
9.00pm Discussion around Whereigo caches. There will be some Whereigo caches setup on location for you to try and discussion around them. Whereigo geocaches are a good idea but it seems many folks have had varying experiences with them(good/bad) - so some discussion and messing about on this topic might help. vk3jap plans to show those interested on the big screen how to create a whereigo cache(it's not super intuitive but not that hard either)
Backup Topics(time/interest depending) :
--> HTML code - understanding it(VERY high level) and how to add to your listing or add pictures etc.
--> UTM Position format versus Lat/Long & Map Datums (don't know how to see where you are on a UTM marked TOPO map using Northings and Eastings.. this is the session for you)
- Agenda will be decided finalized on the night by those attending, if no interest in a topic then we'll skip it. We'll be talking about what is of most interest to those that make it. There will be a voting system with each attendee given votes for timeslots. Agenda decided by 7.30pm
- you may be a GSAK, Whereigo, HTML, Pocket Query Guru.. so how about come along to share your knowledge with others also.
Aside from those agenda points the main focus will be to enjoy a chat over coffee/beer whatever. If Fire restrictions allow it there will be a nice healthy campfire (likely).
The event is at the residence of (vk3jap) which is on 1.5 Acres of land so plenty of room.
- Free Wireless Internet (byo laptop, power avail.)
- 240Vac Power Available
- Toilets avail
- Caping sites available (plenty of room at back of block). Can facilitate Camper trailers, Tents preferred. There will be a fire going in the morning and tea coffee on the boil by 7am to warm you up if the night is cold.
- BBQ will be on from 6.30am Sunday for those who want to cook themselves Bacon and Eggs etc. Will be an electric frying pan for Pancakces and Electric Jug/Toaster also.
- tents etc can be left at site during the day and packed up later in the arvo (if you want to get caching early and pack up later etc)
- c/vans are fine also however please email email@example.com to arrange.
This event can be as big or as small as you want, come for 15 minutes, stay the night.. whatever you choose. If you plan to come please post a log entry here. Cachers are welcome to come to Sunday morning brekky irrespective of whether they come for the Sat night event.
(No hints available.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum