SideTracked - Dawlish Warren
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A cache outside Dawlish Warren station on level ground with no gates or stiles to negotiate.
Dawlish Warren railway station serves the seaside resort and holiday camps of Dawlish Warren in Devon, England, at the mouth of the River Exe. The station is on the London to Penzance Line 10½ miles (17 km) west of Exeter St Davids. From here to Teignmouth the railway runs along the Sea Wall.
No station was provided between Starcross and Dawlish until the summer of 1905 when Warren Halt was opened by the Great Western Railway. This was not on the site of the present station, but nearer to the Sea Wall by the footbridge which had been built across the line in 1873.
The original 150 feet (46 m) long platforms were lengthened to 400 feet (120 m) for the next summer to allow longer trains to call. From 1 July 1907 the station was provided with offices and staff and was therefore renamed Warren Platform. It received its final name of "Dawlish Warren" on 1 October 1911.
Work soon started on a new station. A goods yard was opened on 10 June 1912 on the landward side of the line, and the new station, now 440 yards (400 m) nearer to Starcross, was opened to passengers on 23 September 1912. The platforms were now 600 feet (180 m) long. The building on the 'Down' platform (nearest the beach) was destroyed by fire on 9 January 1924.
In 1935 a camp coach was stationed in the goods yard which could be rented by holiday makers but the facility was withdrawn in 1940.
The Great Western Railway was nationalised into British Railways on 1 January 1948. Camp coaches were reintroduced in 1952, and by 1959 there were nine coaches stationed here. After 1964 the public camp coach service was withdrawn but the coaches at Dawlish Warren continued to be managed by the British Rail Staff Association for its members. The old coaches were replaced for the 1982 season by the current vehicles, since when the connection to the goods yard has been removed.
Goods traffic was withdrawn on 5 August 1967 and on 3 May 1971 the station became unstaffed. From 1974 to 1984 the buildings on the Up side housed the Dawlish Warren Railway Museum with its model railway. This building too burnt down in 2003, but in 2007 a new residential building was built on the site which is outwardly the same design as the former Dawlish Warren signal box. This had been located at the north end of the 'Down' platform until made redundant on 14 November 1986 by the West of England resignalling; it was demolished in May 1990.
You are looking for a magnetic 'key-safe' container, holding a log sheet and pen. Although it is out of view from the station platforms, muggles use this path to reach the golf club and some may also be watching from the nearby car park. Please use stealth when finding this one so as not to compromise the cache's hiding place.
Qvntbany fhccbeg 'envy'