Skip to Content

<

Dog Castle

A cache by bgecco Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 12/20/2008
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size: regular (regular)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


En: Petlink.
Hu: Petlink eloformát keress.


in English:

Dog Castle

If we turn from Balatoni Road to Kutyavári Road, we can find the oldest architectural monument in Érd, the ruins of a hunting lodge called Dog Castle. It was first mentioned in a charter in 1417. István Torma archeoligist researched the origins of the Dog Castle in Érd. He identified the remains of the buildings with the castellum of Diósd from the Middle Ages. “The castle mentioned as ‘of Diód’ in the other charters must have stood close to Diód, the Dog Castle, however, is situated quite far, almost 2 kilometres from the village founded again in the 18th century. According to the 18th-century borders, Diód in the Middle Age was located more to the West from its modern location.”

It was first mentioned in a charter in 1417. “The castellum of Diósd turns up in charters between 1417 and 1461. In 1417, István Cséri Sáfár’s grandchildren pawned their Castle in Diósd to János Fedémesi’s son, Miklós, and then they sold it to their relative, András Csapy’s wife, who became the owner in 1422. It was last mentioned in 1461, when László Setétkuti, the owner after András Csapy and his wife, died childless, and the king gave the property to Imre Hédervári.”

The rectangular castle was most likely already standing in the 14th century in a field called Stone Garden in the village of Diósd.

On the 13th of April, 1627, Mihály Tholdalagi, ambassador of Transylvania wrote this about Dog Castle: “13th April, on Tuesday I went to hunt from Buda Castle with the Chief Pasha and the Mufti Effendi. We saw lots of stags and deer, but it was hard to catch deer or rabbits. We came back to the khan of Hamza Bey, near where the old Hungarian kings raised hounds in a rectangular stone castle, which the Turks call Köpekhiszár (Dog Castle), we lodged next to a nice brook.”

Fülöp Batthyány had Ferenc Wajthay architect make the topographic map of the manor of Érd in 1864. The forester’s lodge, built in the yard created by the 7 metres high walls of Dog Castle, is visible on Wajthay’s drawing. The hunting lodge, which had 3 rooms heated with tile stoves, a kitchen with a free-standing chimney and a stove, a pantry and a stable, was built using one wall of the castellum around 1840. The shed stood in the corner of the castle walls at the end of the yard. Under the forester’s lodge there was a vaulted cellar; the roof was covered with reed.

The first part of József Érdy’s report from 1864 refers to this lodge among the ruined walls: “Dog Castle, a hunting lodge at the edge of the Forest, with romantic landscapes, where the remains of an old building are still visible. Prince Fülöp Batthyány was the lord about 25-30 years ago, who repaired and extended this hunting lodge, including the remains of the walls into the fences. The name Dog Castle originates from the fact that the Great Hungarian King, Matthias kept his hounds here, about 2 miles from Buda, and it is said that if he was in the mood for a hunt, he would stay here.”

Stones from the Roman Age were found next to Dog Castle, about which Floris Romer made these notes in 1864: “There are lots of bricks at the spring, but we found big, clumsy carvings from the Roman Age on the bank of the lake; some of these are now in the Stone Collection of the National Museum. One of them depicts Juno and Jupiter with the peacock and the eagle.”

Gyula Kereskényi, parish priest and the first local historian of Érd wrote: “Matthias kept his hounds in Dog Castle (a forester’s lodge at present), which is a quarter of an hour away from Érd and the walls of which are still standing; there was a great lake next to the building, which was surrounded with a fence, still standing today and used to keep game. Matthias, to escape his worries about the country, often made trips and entertained his guests here.” The lords later still undoubtedly used it as a hunting castle and forester’s lodge.

The final demolition of the hunting castle came with the parcelling and eradication of the forest.

In 1936 a national flag was built next to the ruined walls, and at the same time it became the centre of the festivities of the recreational area near Diósd. The stones were carried off after the Second World War, and only an insignificant piece of the walls remains today. However, the parts under the ground remained unchanged, so the archaeologists of the future will surely have more to say about this monument.

Approach, hiding:
In Érd from the Kutyavári street (this means Dog Castle street in English) you can go in through a little garden gate. The gate is open 24/7.

in Hungarian:

Kutyavár

Érd legrégebbi építészeti emlékének a Kutyavár nevu vadászkastélynak romjaihoz kalauzollak benneteket. Elso okleveles említése 1417-bol származik. A legenda szerint Hunyadi Mátyás építtette vadászkutyái és pecérei számára. Ma már csak romjai láthatóak.Nem tudni, valóban Mátyás király építtette-e, vagy az Elbenyi testvérek. 1318-ban még biztosan nem állt a vár, ekkor ugyanis Károly Róbert egy adománylevele említi Érdet, a várat azonban nem. Luxemburgi Zsigmond idejében azonban említik a diósdi várat, amely itt állt, és 1417-ben is említenek egy Diósdnál lévo erodöt. Temploma is volt, a Szent Bertalan-templom. Az érdi Kutyavár eredetét Torma István régész kutatta, aki az épületmaradványt a középkori diósdi castellummal azonosította. "A több oklevélben is diódinak említett kastélynak Diód közelében kellett állnia, a Kutyavár azonban igen távol, több, mint 2 km-re fekszik a XVIII. Században újratelepített falutól. A XVIII. Századi határvizsgálatok tanúvallomásai szerint a középkori Diód falu a mainál jóval nyugatabbra feküdt."

Elso okleveles említése 1417-bol származik. "A diósdi castellum 1417-1461 között fordul elo az oklevelekben. 1417-ben Cséri Sáfár István unokái diósdi kastélyukat eloször Fedémesi János fia Miklósnak elzálogosították, majd rokonuknak Chap-i András feleségének eladták, Csap-i Andrásnét 1422-ben iktatták be a kastély birtokába. Utoljára 1461-ben említik amikor a Csapy András és felesége után birtokoló Setétkuti László magtalan halálával rászállott birtokot a király Hédervári Imrének adta." (Torma I. 1980. 254.o.)

Minden bizonnyal már a XIV. században állt Diósd falu Kokert nevu pusztáján, a nagyjából négyszög alakú kokastély.

1627. április 13.-án Tholdalagi Mihály erdélyi követ az alábbiakat jegyezte fel a Kutyavárról: "13. Április, kedden Buda várából a Vezér pasával és Mufti effendivel menék ki vadászni. Sok szarvasokat, ozeket látánk, de ozet nyulakat nehezen fogánk. Onnan visszatérvén a Hamza bér szerájához, csak közel az, hol az régi magyar királyok peczéreket és ebeket tartottak egy négyszegu kokastélyban, kit az törökök Köpekhiszárnak (Kutyavár) hívnak egy szép forrás patak mellett megszállánk."

Batthyány Fülöp herceg Wajthay Ferenc mérnökkel 1846-ban készíttette el az érdi uradalom topográfiai felmérését. A Wajhay-féle rajzon látható a Kutyavár 7 m magas falai által határolt udvaron felépített erdészlak. Az öreg castellum egyik falát felhasználva épült meg 1840 körül e vadászház, amelynek 3 cserépkályhával futött szobája, szabadkéményes hasábkemencés konyhája, kamrája és istállója volt. Az udvar végében a várfal belso sarkában állt a kocsiszín. Az erdészház alatt boltozatos pince volt, a tetot náddal fedték le. Erre a romfalak közötti vadászházra utal Érdy József jegyzo jelentésének elso része 1864-bol: "Kutya vár; egy vadász lak az Erdo szélén, regényes tájékkal, hol egy régi épület maradványa most is látható. Herczeg Batthyány Fülöp volt a földes Uraság mintegy 25-30 évvel ezelott ezen vadász lakot nagyobbítva kijavította, kerítés falába bele foglalván a most is látható régi falmaradványt. Kutyavár neve onnét származik, hogy Mátyás a Nagy Magyar Királynak ezen a helyen; Budától mintegy jó két mérföldre; - vadászatra szánt ebei tartanak, s a most is fennálló régi fal azon épületnek maradványa, hol a nagy király vadászati kedvét töltendo, hagyomány szerint többször idozött."

A Kutyavár mellett római kori köveket találtak, amelyekrol Rómer Flóris 1864-ben a következoket jegyezte fel: "A forrásnál sok tégla van, de a tó partján késobb római korszaki nagy és ügyetlen faragványokat találtunk, melyek egyesei már a M.N.Múzeum Kotárában állnak. Egyik Juno és Jupiter a pávával és a sassal..."

Kereskényi Gyula plébánosnál, Érd elso helytörténetírójánál olvashatjuk: "Mátyás Érdhez negyedóra távolságra eso Kutyavárban; (jelenben foerdészi lak) melynek az idobeli falai épségben fönnállnak, tartá vadászebeit, az az épület mellett egy nagy tó volt, ez kerítéssel körülvéve, mely kerítés romjai mai nap is szemlélhetok, vadak helyéül szolgált. Mátyás honterhes gondjaitól menekülve ki-kirándult s vendégeivel mulatott." A környék birtokosai kétségtelenül késobb is vadászkastélyként s erdészlakként használták.

A vadászkastély számára a végso pusztulást az erdo felparcellázása és kiirtása hozta.

1936-ban országzászlót építettek a romos falak mellé és az akkori diósdi üdülotelep ünnepségeinek központjává vált. A II. Világháború után köveit elhordták és mára csak egy jelentéktelen faltöredék maradt meg. Megmaradtak azonban a földdel fedett részek, így a jövo régészeinek még lesz további mondanivalójuk e muemlékünkrol.

forrás: www.erdcenter.hu

Megközelítés, rejtés:

Érden a Kutyavári utcából (mily beszédes a neve) egy kiskapun keresztül tudtok bemenni. A kapu elméletileg éjjel nappal nyitva áll. Keresés közben figyeljetek, hogy idegenek számára ne derüljön ki, amit kerestek az hol van.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Ra: Arkg gb gur ragenapr vf n fznyy fgbar haqre n ovt fgbar. Fvmr vf 3k5pz
Uh: 3k5 pz-rf yáqn, n orwáeng zryyrgg xömirgyra rtl antlboo xb nyngg ynchy, rtl xvfroo xb gnxneáfáona.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.