Church Micro # 416...Penmaen Traditional Geocache
Church Micro # 416...Penmaen
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
An easy Cache and Dash in an area that is driven past many times but not often visited, stealth required.
The church at the present village of Penmaen is dedicated to St. John the Baptist and is thought to have been built in the fourteenth century when the church on the burrows was abandoned. Most of the original fabric of the church was removed during reconstruction between 1854-55, during this work a tombstone dating to 1623 was discovered under the altar detailing family connections of the area with the David or Davies family descendants of Iustin ap Gwrgan former Lord of Glamorgan in the eleventh century (Orrin 1979), Glebe land associated with the church is mentioned from the seventeenth century at least.
Parking is available in the National Trust car park (donation box) 100m up the lane.
If anybody would like to expand this series we would just ask that you contact sadexploration first so he can keep track of the Church numbers and names and to avoid duplication. .
(No hints available.)