Sudbury station is the northern terminus for the so called 'Gainsborough Line', a single track branch line running from Marks Tey to Sudbury which was opened as part of the Stour Valley Railway in 1865. This line originally ran all the way to Shelford near Cambridge but the section between Sudbury and Shelford was shut down in 1965. A solitary 2-coach train shunts backwards and forwards along this line.
This station is currently in its third position since being built in 1849. In 1865 it was moved to allow the rest of the Stour Valley line to Shelford to be built and in 1991 the station was moved again to make way for the Kingfisher Leisure Centre. Although officially un-manned, it is looked after by volunteers from Sudbury in Bloom who enter the station annually into the Anglia in Bloom station competition where it won Silver Gilt in 2006, 2007 and 2008. Sudbury Station also won the Best Station Garden award at the 2008 ACoRP Community Rail Awards.
The cache is a small black plastic container about the size of a 35mm film container.
First to Find... Geotrowel