Skip to content

A Bravehearts Lair - Ormond Castle Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

The Lone Rider: No longer have the time for geocaching so this location is now free for someone else to take over.

More
Hidden : 2/18/2009
Difficulty:
1 out of 5
Terrain:
3 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Situated above Avoch you walk up a farm track and then left at the entrance to the house. The forest track is on poor condition and muddy due to recent felling so wear boots or wellies. Hopefully this will be rectified at some point. The castle site is accessed by a steep grass path. Can be done in an hour from the car.

Some history of Ormond Castle and the Hill

Ormond Hill was also called Hill of Castleton or Lady Hill in past with a number of different names for the castle including Castle of Ormond, Ormondy Castle, Castle of Avoch and Douglas Castle.

The castle was built on the knoll on the eastern shoulder of the hill and is about 200ft above sea level..
It was chronicled that King William the Lion erected two castles in the lordship of Ardmanach (Black Isle) to keep in check the disloyal inhabitants of the district. This happened in 1179

“On a rocky mound called ‘Ormond’ or ‘Ladyhill’, stood the ancient Castle of Avoch, to which as related, the Regent, Sir Andrew de Moravia retired from the fatiques of war and ended his days about the year 1338, and was buried in the Cathedral Kirk of Rosemarkin”

Hugh of Douglas was in residence btween 1440 and 1448 giving the castle one of its other names Douglas Castle.

James III granted to his second son, the Marquis of Ormond (Hence the name), the lands of the lordship of Ardmannache, called Avauch and Netherdale, with the moot hill of Ormond along with Redcastle to the west.

In 1503 the Marquis resigned the lands, but retained the moot-hill in order to preserve his title.

It is said to have been destroyed on the approach of Cromwell’s army around 1650.

In the late seventeenth century it was in ruins and only the coarse red sandstone of the area and lime rubble gave any form of the shape of the castle that once existed.

A survey of the site in 1883 shows that much of the stone had been removed for building elsewhere and the surveyor at the time had difficulty in tracing out the original line of walls due to much of it being overgrown with turf. Some carved sandstone was uncovered and showed quality craftwork.

There was evidence of defence ditches, wells and other features.

There are also a number of panels covering other information of Andrew de Moray and the castle. (visit link)

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Fghzcrq?

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)