Skip to content

Coast Guard Heritage Museum Mystery Cache

This cache has been archived.

koneko: I'm archiving this cache as I will be moving off the Cape. Thanks to all who enjoyed the cache!

More
Hidden : 2/19/2009
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   not chosen (not chosen)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Related Web Page

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

You'll need to do some internet research at home BEFORE arriving at the above coordinates and then a little poking around at the Coast Guard Heritage Museum to find the location for this puzzle cache. The final is along the Cape Cod Pathways Trail that starts at the museum. There is no need to enter the building to gather the last piece of information needed to find the final.

The U.S. Customs house in Barnstable is architecturally and historically significant for its role in the maritime commerce of Cape Cod in the late 19th century. The Seventh United States Customs District was established in 17___9 (A) with the Town of Barnstable as its administrative center. Customs activities took place in the collector's home until the mid-19th century when collector Sylvanus B. Phinney secured congressional funding to erect a fireproof, brick and cast iron customshouse/post office in 1855. Ammi Burnham Young, Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department, designed the two-story, Renaissance Revival style building with an advanced cast-iron structural system by 1856.

The customs house occupied the second level until 1913, while the first level served as a post office until 1958. The County Extension Service replaced the customhouse on the second level from 1924 to 1957. The Federal government deeded the building and grounds to the Town of Barnstable in 1960 for use as a historical museum, which opened that same year. The building is dedicated to Donald G. Trayser, a local Barnstable historian, former editor of The Barnstable Patriot, former Clerk of the Barnstable Superior Court, and editor of Barnstable-______ (F) Centuries of a Cape Cod Town, which was published in 1939. For many years, the historic building housed the collection of the Barnstable Historical Society. After the Society moved out, the customhouse was restored by a group of dedicated local residents and reopened as the Coast Guard Heritage Museum at the Trayser in July 2005.

In 1790 the forerunner of the U.S. Coast Guard was the Revenue Marine Service, later named the Revenue Cutter Service, under the jurisdiction of Alexander Hamilton's U.S. Treasury Department. Other commands like the Huts of Refuge run by the Humane Society of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the Lighthouse Service, Life Saving Service, Lightships and Aids to Navigation were independent entities, not under the umbrella of the Coast Guard until later. While President Woodrow Wilson officially created the U.S. Coast Guard in 1915, the service has always considered August ___ (E), 1790 to be its "Birthday".

On February 18, 1952, during a severe "nor’easter" with 70 -knot winds and 60-foot seas off the New England coast, the T2 tankers SS Fort Mercer and SS Pendleton broke in half. Pendleton was unable to make any distress call; she was discovered on the unusual shore radar with which the Chatham, Massachusetts, Lifeboat Station was equipped during the search for Fort Mercer. BM1 Bernard C. Webber, coxswain of motor lifeboat CG-___6500 (C)from Station Chatham and his crew, consisting of Andrew Fitzgerald, Richard Livesey, and Ervin Maske, rescued the crew of Pendleton, which had broken in half. Webber maneuvered the 36-footer under Pendleton's stern with expert skill as the tanker's crew, trapped in the stern section, abandoned the remains of their ship on a Jacob's ladder. One by one, the men jumped into the water and then were pulled into the lifeboat. Webber and his crew saved 33 of the 34 Pendleton crewmen. Webber, Fitzgerald, Livesey, and Maske were awarded the Gold Lifesaving Medal for their heroic actions. In all, U .S. Coast Guard vessels, aircraft, and lifeboat stations, working under severe winter conditions, rescued 62 persons from the foundering ships or from the water; only five lives were lost among the crews of Fort Mercer and Pendleton. Five Coast Guardsmen earned the Gold Lifesaving Medal, four earned the Silver Lifesaving Medal, and 15 earned the Coast Guard Commendation Medal. The rescue of men from the bow of Fort Mercer was nearly as spectacular as the Pendleton rescue, but is often overshadowed by the Pendleton rescue. Eight officers and crew were trapped on the bow of Fort Mercer and four were rescued using rafts and a Monomoy surfboat. By contrast, all aboard the bow of the Pendleton perished.

Commissioned on August 29, 1970, Air Station Cape Cod traces its roots back to the 1920s. In its infancy, Coast Guard aviation was conceived as a life-saving arm of the cutter fleet. In 1915 a Curtis flying boat was utilized by the service to explore the possibilities of aerial patrol and rescue. The experiment was so successful, Congress authorized the Coast Guard to establish ten air stations. However, funding was not forthcoming, and the project fell by the wayside. World War I did allow service aviators at naval air stations to get practical experience in patrol work and operations. An air station was established in 1920 in North Carolina, utilizing flying boats on loan from the Navy. Despite this early success locating distressed mariners, Congress voted no monies for the fledgling air service, and the station was closed in 1921. The passage of the Volstead Act in 191__ (D) would give the service the boost it needed to get its aviation program airborne. Suppression of liquor smuggling during Prohibition became the major mission of the Coast Guard in the 1920s. CDR Von Paulsen, Coast Guard Aviator number 5, flew a borrowed Navy seaplane on daily patrols from the naval air station at Squantum, MA. The flights proved to be so effective against rum runners that lawmakers appropriated $152,000 for five aircraft. In May of 1925 three of these seaplanes flew out of Gloucester, MA at Ten Pound Island. This essentially became the Coast Guard's first operational,air station. Two more aircraft were added in 1932 as a result of the success in the law enforcement mission. In addition to its patrol mission, Ten Pound Island became a training facility for pilots and a laboratory for communication between aircraft and ship or shore stations. Since there was no room to expand the Gloucester base, a new air station was established at Salem, MA in 1935. Boasting state of the art communications and modern repair facilities, it was designed to handle the larger flying boats. In 1941 air crews from Salem began to fly neutrality patrols along the coast, and in November the Coast Guard was transferred to the Department of the Navy. The War years saw the air station roster increase to 37 aircraft, making it the second largest station on the east coast. On October 21, 1944 Air Station Salem was officially designated as the first US Air-Sea Rescue service on the eastern seaboard. After the war the service found itself with a varied inventory of helicopters, multi-engined patrol planes, and flying boats. With no runways to handle dry landings at Salem, the Coast Guard sought to expand its facilities. In 1950 Air Detachment Quonset Point, Rhode Island was established as a sub unit of Air Station Salem. During the 1950s the Cosat Guard employed the helicopter with a great deal of success as a rescue platform. With the development of the HH-52A, an amphibious helicopter, the need for a flying boat was lessened. Therefore, air stations having only water landing capabilities, such as Salem, were being phased out. In 1968 an agreement was reached with the DOD to utilize the Otis Air Force Base on Cape Cod as the new home of a Coast Guard air station. Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod was actually established on August 29, 1970.

At the posted coordinates, find the plaque about the restoration of the original fence around the museum and use the following formula for the last digit needed: Subtract the FIRST date listed (the year the fence was installed) from the SECOND date listed (the year the fence was restored). Add the sum of those numbers and then choose one of the two numbers you get as the product as the digit for B.

N 41° 41.ABC W 70° 17.DEF

Please remember to respect the private property along both sides of the trail. Also, there is an active set of tracks to cross when coming from the museum. Please stay alert when approaching the tracks! After getting the final coordinates for this cache, you should be able to search for these other caches as well: Cape Cod Pathways Red Multi, The Coast Guard Museum The Old Jaol

This cache was created with help (and permission) from William Collette (MKCS USCG ret), Jack McGrath (USCG Veteran, aviation) and Francis Broadhurst (USN Veteran)

Click to verify coordinates

Additional Hints (No hints available.)