Skip to content

Woodland Cache Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

hostanut: Time to archive.

More
Hidden : 3/7/2009
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Formerly part of the First State Challenge 2009



Woodland- Cannon Hall

History

Woodland, a small town in western Delaware, is located on the Nanticoke River. This area made its mark because of a ferry service started by the Cannon family. Thus this hamlet became known as CANNON’S FERRY. The ferry has historical importance because it is one of the places that Patty Cannon (who ran a reverse Underground Railroad) embarked with runaway slaves and freed blacks to sell them back into slavery. (See the book The Entailed Hat by George Alfred Townsend)

-James Cannon started a ferry service around 1743.

-Upon his death in 1751, his son Jacob took over the ferry service.

-When Jacob died in 1780, his widow Betty became owner of the ferry.

-In 1882 a post office was established and took the name “Woodland”.

-In 1883 the Delaware legislature authorized the county to maintain a ferry "that all citizens of the State, with their teams, wagons, and carriages, shall be transported across said ferry at all times between sunrise and sunset, free of charge." The ferry continues its free-of-charge operation today.

-In 1793 Betty and her son Isaac were granted “sole and exclusive” rights to operate a ferry at this location.

-In 1935 the State of Delaware acquired the ferry and county roads.

One of the historic buildings in Woodland is Cannon Hall which was built by Jacob cannon for his bride-to-be in 1820. She jilted him so he never lived in the mansion. Sad to say this house is quickly falling into ruins.

To read more about Woodland and the ferry, follow the links below:

Marker
Brochure
Information

Cache

This area is open for hunting. Access to this cache is allowed on SUNDAYS ONLY from SEPTEMBER 1ST to FEBRUARY 15TH each year, AND during SPRING WILD TURKEY SEASONS. Hunting Season information can be found at WWW.FW.DELAWARE.GOV


The cache is a small lock-n-lock that is a short walk from the road.

Additional Hints (No hints available.)