About the CCC
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was formed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933. Just 37 days after taking office, the first enrollee had signed up for the program.
Unmarried, unemployed men age 18-25 were the first enrollees. Later the age limit was changed to 17-23. World War I veterans also had separate camps. Enrollment was for 6 months and could be extended up to a total of 2 years.
Many young men came to the camps hungry and poorly clothed. They were issued uniforms and given three meals a day. Most young men gained about 40 pounds while in the CCC. The men earned $30 a month, most of which was sent home to their families.
Run by the U.S. Army, the regimented life of camp was new to most new enrollees. A typical day began at 6 a.m. with breakfast at 6:30 a.m. followed by sick call and policing of the camp. At 7:15 a.m. trucks were loaded with tools and men for the day. “Local experienced men” usually served as foremen for the work. Lunch was usually half an hour. At 4 p.m. the trucks headed back to camp for the flag lowering ceremony, inspection, and announcements. After dinner, the men had free time to socialize and learn crafts until lights out at 10 p.m.
Pennsylvania had the second highest number of camps to California. Between 1933 and 1942, 194,527 Pennsylvanians were employed in 114 CCC camps across the state. More than 3,000,000 men served in the CCC nationwide. The outbreak of World War II caused the ending for the CCC on June 30, 1942.
The CCC at Hickory Run State Park
In 1933 13,000 acres of land from General Harry C. Trexler’s estate was purchased by the Federal Government, for the purpose of establishing a park. It was in December of 1935 that the National Park Service initiated work on the recreational development of this large tract of land. The land was redesignated a Recreational Demonstration Area, in which large numbers of people could find healthy outdoor activity and recreation at little personal cost.
In 1939, the CCC established a camp at Hickory Run and began to work throughout the park. The work here was given project code SP-19, and was later renamed NP-6. Between 200 and 650 men from Company 1324 (who were relocated from project SP-18 at Caledonia State Park) were located here and worked on various infrastructure projects under the leadership of Project Superintendent Howard Miller.
Stop #1
N 41º 01.494 W 75º 41.764
The camp at Hickory Run was located here near the present-day CCC dam.
A standard camp was formed in a rough “U” shape with recreation halls, a garage, a hospital, administrative buildings, a mess hall, officers’ quarters, enrollee barracks, and a schoolhouse, all constructed of wood; it numbered approximately 24 structures. Each building fronted a cleared space that was used for assemblies and sports activities.
QUESTION How many swings are on the play set in the middle of the field? ____

Stop #2
N 41º 01.698 W 75º 41.254
This 11-acre lake was built by the CCC in 1941. It wasn’t until 1952 that the lake was opened for public bathing. The numerous parking areas were located near picnic grounds, which still include many tables and nearby fireplaces. The beach area recently underwent modern renovations and visitors can enjoy a new concessionaire, shower house, and restrooms.
QUESTION How many steps/stairs to the top of the dam? ____
Stop #3
N 41º 01.966 W 75º 42.410
This historic crossing on Hickory Run was improved by the CCC. It lies between the (1800s) towns of Saylorsville, upstream, and Hickory Run, downstream.
QUESTION What color is the wooden railing painted? How many letters are in that word? ____

Stop #4
N 41º 01.472 W 75º 42.631
Among the work that the CCC boys did was building and repairing dams. Although they did not have a hand in building the chapel, which was historically used as a school house, the young men did work in the stream. They built the dams that still stand in front of and downstream of the chapel, creating calm reflecting pools and gentle cascades.
QUESTION How many windows are on the chapel? ____
Count windows, not individual panes.

Final Cache
N 41º 01.080 W 75º 42.8 _ _
Add up all of the numbers from the previous questions. Multiply by 2. Add 3. Put the answer in the blank spot. This gives you the coordinates for the hidden cache.
Just off the trail near the cache you can see the remnants of a water tower that was built by the CCC.
Thanks for visiting!
Thank you for visiting Hickory Run State Park! While you’re at the park, please consider checking out some of the other attractions:
Over 40-miles of trails
Hawk Falls, a beautiful natural waterfall
Swimming beach at Sand Spring Lake open from Memorial Day to Labor Day
Campground with nearly 400 sites
Scenic vistas from Fireline Trail
Disc golf and orienteering courses located in the Sand Spring Day Use Area
Free interpretive programs on weekends from Memorial Day to Labor Day
Several streams, ponds, and a lake for fishing
If you need an accommodation to participate in park activities due to a disability, please contact the Pennsylvania Bureau of State Parks:
888-PA-PARKS (voice)
888-537-7294 (TTY)
711 (AT&T Relay Services)
Thanks to Ranger Supervisor David Fry for the photos.