Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Located around the small settlement of Ruffy,
You will meet a number of Ruffians in your travels.
The Ruffy tablelands are part of the Strathbogie ranges, a large granite massif which is located between the Broken and Goulburn rivers.
Original tree species include Messmate, Stringbark, Peppermint, Blue and white gums, with some Redgum along creek edges. In Ruffy itself Swamp gums predominated.
Original inhabitants of the area were the Molka tribe, based near Murchison.
Ruffy is named for the holder of the Dropmore pastoral lease, which was originally taken up by Henry Hughes
of Avenel in 1838. (Hughes Creek is named after him)
William Ruffy was a publisher in London until 1824.
Originally migrating to Tamania, He came with his brother Weggett Ruffy to the area to develop merino sheep.
By 1851 they were running 12,000 sheep on the 40 sq mile Dropmore run.
In 1870, The Land Act allowed free settlers to settle land of upto 320 acres, large enough to make a living.
Patrick Keogh was the first selector, others soon followed including the Noye family at Rosehill in 1881.
Other settlers included the names Arkell, Arthur, Canty, Enders, Gilbert, Homan, Maygars, O'connor, Penny
These early settlers ran dairy herds and the Maygar family ran a butter and cheese factory, at Strathern station.
This factory burnt down in 1901 and a creamery business was established near Ruffy in Creamery lane.
With Euroa a 3hr horse/buggy ride away many household needs were often supplied by travelling salesmen
Lin Ferguson delivered groceries.
Mr O'shea sold clothes and haberdashery from his covered wagon
The Rawleighs man sold spices and medicines and
An Indian hawker, complete with turban displayed ribbons, trinkets and material from a backpack.
Ruffy residents made their own fun, Saturday nights, the Penny's held game and musical nights, with sumptuous suppers. Dances were held regularly in the hall, Musicians were local, including Kate Hobart on piano and Bob Noye on accordion.
Mains electricity didn't arrive until 1965
Lets now meet some Ruffians.
Cache is located at
Location 1: Original settlers.
A monument stands here to some of the districts original settlers.
A = How many letters in the ladies christian name?
B = The number of letters in the month they settled + 2
Location 2: Local landholder.
In 1955 a local landholder offered 9 acres of land for use as a recreation reserve, with the proviso that 750 Pounds was raised by public donations.
C = How many letters are there on the "donation" plaque?
D = C - 4
E = Whose pavilion is it? The number of letters in the surname
F = E - A
Location 3: Memorial tree.
3 memorial trees were planted here in tribute to locals who have contributed to community services.
You are interested in the Eastern most tree (down the back of the garden)
G = The date in October the memorial tree was dedicated?
H = G + 1
J = The number of letters in her christian name?
K = J - 4
Cache location: A carnival, or sports day was held here from approx 1935 to 1960
Stepping the distance
Guessing the pole height
as well as the usual sports type events - foot races etc.
Enjoy the atmosphere of this rural community, and call in for lunch or a coffee at the Ruffy General store.
Onfr bs Gerr