Skip to content

Standing Guard II Traditional Cache

Hidden : 4/23/2009
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

This is another attempt to place a cache at this location. There is a lot of local history at this tiny location. The cache is near the newly renovated Davenport Cemetary. PLEASE re-hide the cache BETTER than you found it!

William Davenport was born October 16, 1820, Saltville Township, Washington Co., Virginia, the son of John and Margaret (Peggy) McNew Davenport. He was the third of seven children born there: Dorcas (m. Rolla C. Miller, Medina Co., Texas); James Booker (lived Uvalde and Bandera Cos., Texas); William; Ann Goff; Jane Barnes; Catherine Patton; and John McNew (lived Uvalde). By 1838 this family, along with John’s father Claiborne Davenport, his brothers and sisters had moved to Wayne Co., Kentucky. After Peggy’s death, John married Susan Little, a Kentuckian, to whom two sons were born in Johnson Co., Missouri: Lewis Claiborne, 1841 and Andrew Jackson, 1843 (to Uvalde Co., Texas). In 1843, John and some of his family located in the section of Henderson County, Texas, which became Kaufman County, near Buffalo. Here William Davenport met and married Mary Ware, daughter of William Ware, an early colonizer in Montgomery Co., Texas, who had moved to Kaufman County in the late 1840’s.

No doubt, William Davenport and his bride were lured to south Texas by the glowing descriptions of the country given by her father, who had explored as far west as present northeastern Uvalde Co. after having taken part in the Battle of Bexar and made a decision then to settle there in the future. As they came down the old Nacogdoches Road to Cibolo Creek a mile above Selma (on the Bexar-Comal Co. line) the vast stretches of succulent grasses on both sides of the stream enclosed by a rim of brush-covered hills offered an inviting scene to the travelers and on the south bank of the "See Willow" (Cibolo) east of the Nacogdoches crossing, Davenport selected a homesite which is recognizable today by the name of Davenport in large iron work letters over the gate leading to the family cemetery. Arriving a short time before had been Sam Sprouls, also of Virginia, whose one room log cabin with a porch was the beginning of Selma and housed the first stage stop and post office. Shortly thereafter, John George Miller, a Swiss, erected a native stone building with stables for twelve horses in back with quarters for the men who cared for them which became known as The Selma Stage Stand and Inn - the stopover for the stage, and the post office was moved into the Inn. While Mr. Miller was busy becoming the local merchant, William Davenport had established the home where he was to live for over fifty years. The log cabin with dog trot remained until about 1963 and the house built in 1873 stands today - 107 years later [1980].

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

nybat gur ebpx cngu

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)