Cas Troggy is believed to be a hunting lodge built by Roger
Bigod with construction starting in the early 1300's. Roger (born
about 1245) was the 5th Earl of Norfolk and most well known in this
area for the building of the great hall in Chepstow castle and the
building of the fortified wall around the town - known as the port
wall. He died in 1306 and because of an earlier conflict against
King Edward I in 1297 all Roger's lands were confiscated. As he
died without leaving any heirs Cas Troggy is thought to have
remained unfinished and left to go to ruin.
Today the ruins are still quite substantial but overgrown and
partially hidden in the bushes and trees. Driving down the road you
wouldn’t know there was a castle here. You get a very good
view of the castle from the footpath (where the cache is placed)
and can walk up to the edge of this square site. There is a mound
in the south west corner with remains of the south wall and
gatehouse to the East. The other surrounding walls are now just a
bank around the sides of the site. The castle location is on the
northern edge of Wentwood forest, still the largest forest in South
Wales and in medieval times a great hunting forest for the lords of
Chepstow.
The castle is privately owned and on private land.
Please do not trespass on the castle site.
To reach the cache follow the footpath from the starting point
by the carpark (CP1) across the field to a turn (FP1) and then
along the field hedge. Please note this footpath does not go
directly to the cache but crosses the field then makes a sharp
turn. Please do not walk directly across the field from the parking
place to the cache. The fields here all have electric fences round
the edge which run right by the footpath. Take care!
The route is across flat grass fields with gates (no stiles) but
is probably too rough for buggies or wheelchairs.