Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Mrs. GeoK attends choir practice at a downtown location once a week. Whenever possible, she likes to park at the west end of downtown and walk through Prince’s Island Park on her way to rehearsal. She especially likes the “art walk” on the island and finally hid a magnetic nano cache at one of her favourite pieces.
NOTE: the original cache container went missing late April / early May of 2010. A replacement container has been placed. PLEASE REHIDE EXACTLY AS FOUND to minimize the likelihood that the new container also goes missing.
This particular sculpture might provoke some thought about the history of the park, which is named after Anthony Prince, a lumberman from Quebec who came to Calgary in 1886 and founded the Eau Claire Lumber Mill. The Eau Claire and Bow River Lumber Company dug a channel (now the lagoon) to get logs from Kananaskis closer to the Calgary sawmill, resulting in an island.
In 1889 Prince formed the Calgary Water Power Company to supply electric streetlights to the town. Despite its name, the company used steam generators powered by sawdust until 1893 when Prince built Calgary's first hydro-electric plant near the east end of the lagoon. After his death in 1925 the mill was still operational until 1944. The land was purchased by the City from the remaining Prince family in 1947.
Since its redevelopment as a park in the 1950s, Prince's Island Park has been recognized as an urban oasis. In 1999, city council approved a renovation of the Island, including wetland construction at the east end ChevronTexaco Learning Pathway and the installation of several pieces of art, including this one.
Despite our best-efforts on google, we’ve been unable to learn anything about this sculpture. If you know anything about the artist, the real name of the piece, when it was created, etc., please let us know.
JUNE 1/09 UPDATE: Thanks very much to AirRanger, who found the cache May 29 and included this information in the "found it" log: about 40 m south of the sculpture there's an info sign explaining all the pieces of art in the area. It says this sculpture was made by a Lorenzo DiPalma as #94 of his "Prairie Progression" series in 1969 and 1971. It is named "Prairie Collage" and "reflects the process of industrialization"."
The cache is a log only nano, so be sure to bring your own writing instrument.
(No hints available.)