Skip to Content

<

Hungarian Heritage House

A cache by Nebel.com Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 6/22/2009
Difficulty:
3 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

link


     
Let me invite you to the Hungarian Heritage House (former "Vigadó" of Buda) wich is standing at the foot of the Buda Castle-Hill. The hiding place is a well maintened, nice park, be carefully in action, the place is so visited! Please do not write your log exactly at the cache!
For more help see below the Hints and pictures!
Good luck!
The history of the "Vigadó" of Buda

The city of Buda, lying at the foot of the Buda Castle-Hill, had for a long time been culturally and economically more developed and prosperous than Pest, its counterpart on the other side of the Danube. After the end of the 17th century though, when Buda was re-conquered from the Ottoman Turks after 150 years of Turkish invasion, the city's progress took a slower pace. On the present site on the "Vigadó", the Turks built a large storeroom that was converted into an armory and later into a military cart-storage building. In the time of the Compromise (1867) the building was in possession of the "K. und K." Army. The rather simple storage buildings rested on baroque and Mediaeval foundations.
By the end of the 19th century, the borough of Pest had caught up with its rival both culturally and economically. In the middle of the 19th century, the Pest "Redout" (Vigadó), a grand cultural center was built on the Pest bank of the Danube. The Pest "Redout" was suitable for all cultural occasions of the time, including balls, receptions and concerts. As a response to this, the citizens of Buda also wished to erect an equally magnificent building that would host their cultural events. In 1892, Károly Gerlóczy, the deputy mayor of Budapest received a formal request from the Buda citizens for the building of a new and modern cultural center. The realization of this plan however took a longer time, since there seemed to be no suitable site for a future cultural center. The problem was finally solved in 1894, when PM Sándor Wekerle managed to get through a bill that issued any former military buildings into the possession of the Municipal Office of Budapest. This bill gave, among others, the Buda Citadel and the spacious cart-storage building on the corner of Fo utca (high street), Corvin tér (Corvin square) and Iskola utca (School street) to the Municipal Office. The latter site was apparently an ideal spot for future a cultural center. To enlarge the area, the Municipal Office bought the two neighboring plots too.

The City Council of Budapest called for tenders in 1897 for a cultural center. The principal requirement was multifunctionality: the new venue had to be appropriate for hosting a library, several assembly rooms, an auditorium and a restaurant. The winner project was a joint venture of two architects: the young Aladár Árkay and Mór Kallina, Árkay's father-in-law. The construction works begun in the spring of 1898, and next year the building was finished.

The new, two-storey cultural center was designed in the eclectic style characteristic to the age, and had a courtyard and a domelike roof structure. The facade's colonnade is a mixture of ionic and renaissance styles. The gates and windows follow an Italian (Florentine and Roman) design. The main facade was originally decorated by wooden pillars and columns. The Corvin tér and Fo utca sides of the external walls were richly ornamented, while the Iskola utca one was rather modest. The building looks south in the direction of Corvin tér, and its main block has two flanks attached to it. The semicircular windows of the first floor and circular ones of the second floor used to have richly decorated frames.
Even though the building was completely appropriate for cultural purposes, its decoration was surprisingly simple in contemporary standards. This simplicity was due to economic reasons. The sculptors of the facade statues are not mentioned anywhere in contemporary publications, neither in later historic descriptions. This might entail the fact that the sculptor is not from Hungary, or it might refer to the artistic unimportance of the authors, since possibly no well-known Hungarian sculptors of the age would have missed the opportunity of his name being linked to such a grand enterprise. Some art historians suppose that the statues in question were made by László Kászonyi, one of Kallina's less talented colleagues.
At the Fo utca corner of the building hosted a café, and there was a restaurant on the Iskola utca corner. The rather moderate decoration of the exterior was compensated by a lavish interior ornamentation. The there was a marble colonnade in the spacious atrium, and marble stairs led up to the first floor. The stairs were generously lit by lights on either sides, and eth walls were light green. The internal Stuccoes of the building were manufactured by the Matscheko and Schroedl Company. The ground floor was occupied by the café, the restaurant and some cloakrooms, while the first floor held a 350 m2 (3767 sq. feet) hall, which was decorated with allegoric paintings by Erik Pauli and Art Nouveau embossments. Having 270 spotlights and 3 large arch-lamps, the hall was especially appropriate for balls. The grand hall opened into two smaller rooms on either side. There was a large restaurant for 400 people in the Iskola utca part of the building, and that part contained the assembly room, reading room and gaming rooms of the Buda Citizens' Circle. The second floor consisted of fur privately owned flats, the offices of the Buda Library Association and the Buda Registry Office.

The new "Vigadó" was opened on 30 January 1900 by mayor János Halmos, on occasion of a carnival ball. The lavish opening ceremony, including a charity ruffle, was attended by both the Buda and Pest aristocracy. The ball-room was later converted into a 306-seat auditorium. The building was seriously damaged in WW II., and the consequent restoration works did not take into account the former design and layout, yielding a considerably less impressive and less suitable outlook. The building was issued to the Hungarian State Folk Ensemble, though it was only partly capable of meeting the needs of the Ensemble.

Nowadays the building serves multifunctional cultural purposes: it hosts the head offices of the Hungarian Heritage House and the Hungarian Institute for Culture and Arts.

Reaching by public transportation:
- Take subway (Metro) No. 2 (the red line) to "Batthyány tér" and walk two blocks southwards on Fo utca
- Take bus No. 86 and get off at "Szilágyi Dezso tér"
- Take tram No. 19 or 41 and get off at "Halász utca"

Website:http://www.hagyomanyokhaza.hu/



A Budai Vigadó története

A Budai Vigadó épületének helyén a török hódoltság idején egy, a törökök által épített nagy áruraktár, késobb fegyverraktár állt. A 19. század elején a katonai hatóságok budai társzekérraktára helyezkedett el itt, különféle épületek együtteseként. A kiegyezés után a honvédség kezébe került épület továbbra is katonai raktárként muködött. A 19. század végére a gyorsan fejlodo polgárságban megfogalmazódott az igény, hogy Budán is legyen vigadó. A Duna budai oldalán élok rendelkeztek ugyan kulturális szervezetekkel, rendezvényeiket azonban csak a már megkopott Fácán vendéglo nagytermében tarthatták. A budai polgárok 1892-ben kérték eloször írásban Gerlóczy Károly fovárosi alpolgármestertol a pesti Vigadóhoz hasonló kulturális palota felépítését, ahol összejöveteleiket, mulatságaikat tarthatják. Ennek megvalósítása azonban sokáig elhúzódott, mert nem találtak hozzá alkalmas telket. 1894-ben végül megoldódott a probléma: Budapest belterületi katonai ingatlanjait Wekerle Sándor miniszterelnök az 1894. évi 20. tc. segítéségével Budapest tulajdonába juttatta vissza. Ekkor került a fováros kezébe a pesti Újépület, a budai Citadella, valamint néhány budai belterületi laktanyaépület, köztük az a fegyverraktár, melynek helye alkalmasnak bizonyult a leendo budai Vigadó felépítésére. A Fo utca – Corvin tér – Iskola utca által határolt háromszög mellé a fováros megvásárolta a két szomszédos telket is.
1897-ben a fováros közgyulése nyilvános pályázatot írt ki az épületre, melynek nyertese Kallina Mór és veje, Árkay Aladár közös munkája lett. Az építészek igen nehéz feladat elott álltak, mivel nem volt könnyu sokféle igényt kielégíto, színházi, könyvtári és egyéb kulturális célokat szolgáló épületet tervezni, egy megadott tömbön belül. Feladatukat végül remekül megoldották. Az 1896-ban kiírt tervpályázat után az építkezés két évvel késobb, 1898 tavaszán kezdodött, és a következo év oszére a 800 négyszögöl alapterületu épület már szerkezet-készen állt. Az építési költség 650.000 Ft, vagyis 1.300.000 korona volt.
Az 1898 és 1900 között emelt, kétemeletes, belsoudvaros, timpanonos, kupolaszeruen manzárdos tetofelépítménnyel ellátott épület, mely foleg a neoreneszánsz stílusjegyeit viseli magán, a korra jellemzo eklektikus stílusban készült. A homlokzat oszlopfoi attikai jón, az oszloptörzsek olasz reneszánsz mintát követnek. A kapu- és ablakkeretezések, a mellvédek szintén az olasz (római, firenzei) reneszánsz palotaépítészetbol ismert megoldások. A fohomlokzatot eredetileg kis kiülésu faloszlopok, pillérek, könyöklok ékesítették. A háznak két díszes (a Corvin téri és a Fo utcai) és egy alárendelt (az Iskola utcai) homlokzata volt. Az épület dél felé, a Corvin tér irányába fordul. Középso tömbjéhez egyszerubb oldalszárnyak csatlakoznak. Az elso emeleten nagyméretu, félköríves, a második emeleten kerek ablakokat építettek be. Ezen ablakok keretezése eredetileg igen díszes, barokkos jellegu volt.
Noha az elkészült épület a céloknak tökéletesen megfelelt, költségkímélési okok miatt kora igényeihez képest viszonylag szerény díszítésekkel bírt. Érthetetlen, hogy a homlokzat díszítoszobrainak alkotóit sehol sem említik. Nevüket sem a korabeli publikációkban, sem az utókor leírásaiban nem találjuk meg. Ennek oka az lehet, hogy a szobrokat nem hazai szobrász alkotta, de a szobrászok jelentéktelensége is közrejátszhat benne. Ha az akkoriban vezeto díszítoszobrászok valamelyike (Szécsi, Szász, Marhenke) dolgozott volna itt, biztosan megragadja a reklám lehetoségét. Néhány muvészettörténész feltételezi, hogy a szobrokat a Kallina Mórral egyébként dolgozó, kisebb tehetségu Kászonyi László készítette.Az impozáns, tágas elocsarnokot karszti márványoszlopokkal díszítették, belole széles márványlépcso vezetett az emeletre. A lépcsok mellett lámpák százai világítottak; a belso falakat halványzöldre festették. A ház belso stukkódíszeit a Matscheko és Schroedl cég szállította. A földszinten kávézó, az emeleten 400 fo befogadására alkalmas étterem állt a vendégek rendelkezésére. Ennek folytatásában helyezkedett el a Budai Polgári Kör társalgója, olvasója és három játékterme. Az elso szinten egy 350 négyzetméteres díszterem kapott helyet. A bálok megrendezésére kitunoen alkalmas termet 270 izzó és 3 óriás ívlámpa világította be. Falfelületein hatalmas tükröket, valamint Pauli Erik „Az est” és „A reggel” címu falfestményeit helyezték el. A díszteremhez két oldalról egy-egy kisterem csatlakozott. Oldalt, az utcákkal párhuzamos szárnyakban további kistermek, a belso udvarra nézo folyosókon társalgók, klub- és olvasóhelyiségek, kártyaszobák nyíltak. A felsobb szinteken négy magánlakást alakítottak ki. Ezek mellett muködött a Budai Könyvtár Egylet és a Budai Anyakönyvi Hivatal.
Az épületet 1900. január 20-án Halmos János polgármester adta át. Nagyszabású farsangi bállal nyitották meg a Vigadót, melynek fovédnöke Klotild fohercegasszony volt. A megnyitó alkalmával a Duna mindkét oldalának rangos társasági szereploi megjelentek, mire tekintettel a rendezoség gyönyöru táncrenddel lepte meg a közönséget. Éjfélkor a bál alkalmából összegyujtött mutárgyakat sorsoltak ki, és az összes bevételt a budai szegények javára ajánlották fel.
A báltermet késobb 306 férohelyes színházteremmé alakították. Ma ez a színház ad otthont elsosorban a Magyar Állami Népi Együttes eloadásainak, akik évente több mint 120 alkalommal lépnek fel itt. Napjainkban az épület több funkciót tölt be: a Vigadóban kapott helyett a Magyar Muvelodési Intézet és a Hagyományok Háza.

Megközelítés tömegközlekedéssel:
- Kettes metróval (piros vonal) a "Batthyány tér"-ig majd egy rövid séta két háztömbnyire délre a célpontig.
- 86-os busszal a "Szilágyi Dezso tér"-ig.
- 19-es vagy 41-es villamossal a "Halász utca"-ig.

Honlap: http://www.hagyomanyokhaza.hu/


free counters

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

ybbx qbja

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

2,013 Logged Visits

Found it 1,833     Didn't find it 114     Write note 29     Temporarily Disable Listing 6     Enable Listing 6     Publish Listing 1     Needs Maintenance 18     Owner Maintenance 4     Update Coordinates 2     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 209 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated:
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.