Skip to Content

<

LES FORTIFICATIONS DE LANGRES

A cache by JEFF52 Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 6/25/2009
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


www.tourisme-langres.com

Cette multi cache vous propose de partir à la découverte des fortifications de la ville de Langres à travers ses tours d’artillerie et ses portes monumentales. Départ de la chasse et parking sur la place Bel’Air à coté de la Porte des Moulins. 3,5 km de chasse sur le chemin de ronde vous attende…

L’additional hints, indispensable pour trouver la cache finale, se situe :
N 47° AD.HDB
E 005° BE.GCB
Derrière la borne N°FI

1- La porte des Moulins
N 47° 51.500 E 005° 19.970
Cette porte doit son nom aux anciens moulins qui se trouvaient à l’extérieur des fortifications afin de profiter du vent (le « bel’air » qui a donné son nom à la place). Le décor guerrier évoque le dénouement victorieux qui s’annonçait alors pour la France, engagée dans la guerre de Trente Ans face à l’Espagne. Trophées d’armes, casques empanachés et ennemis enchaînés font de cette porte un monument à la gloire des victoires de la royauté, une sorte de porte triomphale évoquant les lointains arcs de triomphe romains. Martelées à la Révolution, les armoiries du souverain étaient d’ailleurs placées au centre du fronton.

Soustrayez la date de fin à la date du début de sa construction : A
Sur la gravure de 1782, combien y avait-il de porte charretière : B

2- Tour Saint-Ferjeux
N 47° 51.546 E 005° 20.119
Première tour d’artillerie cylindrique à avoir été construite à Langres, son parti est radicalement différent. Les murs sont très épais (jusqu’à six mètres), les deux salles voûtées sont équipées de huit casemates de tir et la terrasse sommitale accueillait des canons de gros calibre destinés à protéger le flanc sud des fortifications. Cette tour fut restaurée en 1844 par le Génie militaire qui reconstruisit le parapet et modifia le parement en remplaçant les bossages défectueux. Depuis 1989, la terrasse accueille une œuvre du sculpteur néerlandais Eugène Van Lamsweerde, intitulée « L’air et les songes », en hommage au philosophe champenois Gaston Bachelard.

Quelle est la datation inscrite dans la pierre sur la terrasse d’artillerie ; ne retenez que le dernier chiffre : C

3- La Porte Henri IV
N 47° 51.758 E 005° 20.196
Cette porte conduit au quartier de Sous-Murs, dévolu dès le XIIIe siècle aux activités de tannage des peaux. C’est le seul accès est de la cité ainsi que le plus escarpé. Ses ouvertures, l’une charretière, l’autre piétonne, étaient toutes deux équipées d’un fossé et d’un pont-levis dont subsistent les logements des poutres - les flèches - servant à les actionner. Une porte à double battant ainsi qu’une herse complétaient la défense de cet ouvrage.

Combien de siècle séparent la datation figurant sous la niche et celle figurant au dessus de la niche : D
Combien y a t-il d’étoiles sur la voûte de la niche (attention chiffre impaire) : E

4- La Tour Saint-Jean ou Saint-Gengoulph
N 47° 52.058 E 005° 19.937
Contemporaine de la barbacane de Longe-Porte, cette tour doit son nom à la proximité de l’ancien prieuré Saint-Gengoulph aujourd’hui disparu. Installée sur un éperon rocheux, c’est la dernière tour d’artillerie construite à Langres. Sa structure est plus simple que ses devancières : son unique salle voûtée dotée de deux embrasures latérales est protégée par un bouclier frontal de 7,5 mètres d’épaisseur. En 1883, un pigeonnier militaire au style néo-médiéval fut aménagé sur la terrasse. Discrets et capables de parcourir 100 kilomètres en 80 minutes, les pigeons voyageurs furent employés au transport de messages jusqu’à la veille de la Première Guerre mondiale.

Noter le nombre de meurtrière dans le rempart à droite : F
Noter le nombre de meurtrière dans le rempart à gauche : G

5- La Tour du Petit Sault
N 47° 52.026 E 005° 19.835
Cette tour d’artillerie en forme de U et aux flancs allongés était destinée à contrôler l’angle nord-ouest de l’enceinte et la route de Paris passant à ses pieds. Dotée d’énormes embrasures et de murs dont l’épaisseur atteint sept mètres, ses dispositions intérieures épousent la déclivité du terrain. Les deux salles aux voûtes puissantes sont reliées entre elles par un escalier monumental et supportent une vaste terrasse d’artillerie. Les parements extérieurs décorés de bossages et équipés de gargouilles viennent rehausser le relief et l’accroche esthétique de la tour.

Combien y a-t-il de canon encore visible sur la terrasse : H
Soustrayez 8 au nombre d’ouverture de tir sur la terrasse : I

6- La Tour de Navarre
N 47° 51.616 E 005° 19.703
Cet ouvrage est situé sur un terrain ayant appartenu aux comtes de Champagne, également rois de Navarre. Il s’agit de la tour d’artillerie la plus monumentale ; son diamètre de 28 mètres, sa hauteur de 20 mètres et sa vingtaine d’embrasures de tir réparties sur quatre niveaux en font un ouvrage hors du commun. Ses murs atteignant 7 mètres d’épaisseur protègent deux salles puissamment voûtées et casematées. L’artillerie de sa terrasse devait protéger le plateau en avant de la porte des Moulins. Quasiment achevée en 1515 après seulement quatre années de travaux, elle fut rehaussée de 2,5 mètres afin d’accroître la portée des canons installés sur sa terrasse. Cette transformation en cours de construction entraîna la pose d’un second niveau de gargouilles et la réalisation d’une nouvelle tour - la tour d’Orval - protégeant une rampe d’artillerie en spirale. Celle-ci pouvait acheminer les canons au sommet de la tour de Navarre à l’abri des tirs ennemis. En 1825, le Génie militaire transforma cette tour en poudrière. Une charpente conique fut alors construite afin de protéger les salles inférieures des infiltrations.

Toutes les caches en Pays de Langres

www.tourisme-langres.com

This multi-hides suggests you leaving to the discovery of the fortifications of the city of Langres through his artillery towers and its triumph gates. Departure of the hunting and car park on the place Bel’Air in front of the Gate of the Windmills. 3,5 km of hunting on the covered way waits for you …

The additional hints, indispensable to find the final hiding place, is situated :
N 47° AD.HDB
E 005° BE.GCB
Behind the border N°FI

1- Gate of the Windmills
N 47° 51.500 E 005° 19.970
This gate owes its name to the earlier presence of windmills which were built outside the city walls in order to benefit from the wind (the "bel’air" which has given its name to the square (place Bel Air). The war-like decor evokes the outcome of the Thirty Years War between France and Spain, a denouement that favoured France. Trophies of weapons, plumed helmets and enemies in chains make of this gate a monument to the glorious victories of the monarchy, a gate that evokes the triumphal arches of the Roman period. Hammered out during the Revolution, the coat of arms of the King was set in the centre of the pediment.


Subtract the date of the end from the date of the beginning of its construction : A
On the engraving of 1782, how much there was of gateway for carts and carriages: B

2- Saint-Ferjeux Tower
N 47° 51.546 E 005° 20.119
First of its type to be built in Langres, its structure was radically different. The walls are very thick, up to six metres in places; the two vaulted rooms are equipped with eight openings for the shooting of weapons and the summit terrace housed large calibre cannon used to protect the southern flanks of the fortifications. Army engineers rebuilt the parapet and repaired the facing by replacing damaged bosses during the restoration of the tower in1844. Since 1989 the terrace has been home to a sculpture, the work of Dutch artist Eugene Van Lamsweerde, called "L’air et les songes" (Air and Dreams), a homage to the philosopher Gaston Bachelard, born in the Champagne region.

Which is the dating registered in the stone on the terrace of artillery; hold only the last number : C

3- Henry the Fourth Gate
N 47° 51.758 E 005° 20.196
This gate leads to the Sous-Murs quarter (below the walls), given over, in the 13th century, to the tanners. This is not only the only eastern access to the city, it is also the steepest. The openings, for carriages and pedestrians, both had a ditch and a drawbridge, of which remain the housings for the beams used to lift the gates. A double door and a portcullis completed the defences of this structure.

How much century separates the dating appearing under the niche and that appearing above the niche : D
How much stars is on the vault of the niche (attention odd number) : E

4- Saint Johns’, or St Gengoulps’ Tower
N 47° 52.058 E 005° 19.937
Dating from the same period as the Longe-Porte Gate, this tower owes its name to the nearby former priory of St Gengoulp, today disappeared. Built on a rocky outcrop, this was the last artillery tower to be constructed at Langres. Its structure is simpler than its predecessors, with one vaulted chamber equipped with two side openings, which is protected by a forward shield measuring seven and a half metres thick. In 1883 a military pigeon loft, built in a mediaeval style, was installed on the terrace. Unnoticed and capable of flying 100km in 80 minutes, homing pigeons were used to deliver messages up until the eve of the First World War.

Note the number of murderess in the rampart to the right: F
Note the number of murderess in the rampart to the left: G

5- Petit-Sault Tower
N 47° 52.026 E 005° 19.835
This tower, in a U shape with long sides, was destined to control the northwest corner of the wall, and the road to Paris which passed below. Equipped with huge openings and walls up to seven metres thick, the interior layout follows the slope of the land. The two strongly vaulted chambers are linked by a monumental stairway and support a large artillery terrace. The exterior walls are bossed and feature gargoyles, adding an aesthetic dimension to the tower.

How much cannon is still visible on the terrace : H
Subtract 8 among opening of shooting on the terrace : I

6- Navarre Tower
N 47° 51.616 E 005° 19.703
This building is situated on a piece of land, called ‘le champ de Navarre’, today a camping ground, which originally belonged to the Count of Champagne, who was also King of Navarre. It is an artillery tower on a monumental scale. Its diameter of 28 metres, its height of 20 metres, and 20 openings for firing spread over four levels make for a most outstanding structure. The walls are up to seven metres thick and house two strongly vaulted chambers with openings for defence. Artillery placed on the terrace would have protected the plateau forward of the Moulin Gate. More or less finished in 1515 after only four years of work, another 2.5 metres were added in order to increase the range of the cannon placed on the terrace. This addition, decided during construction work, necessitated a second level of gargoyles and the construction of a second tower - the Orval Tower - that housed a spiral ramp. This enabled cannon to be taken up to the terrace of the Navarre Tower safe from enemy fire. In 1825 military engineers transformed the tower into a powder store. A conical roof was added to protect the lower chambers from the elements.

Find all the other caches to hunt down in the Langres Area

Additional Hints (No hints available.)



 

Find...

190 Logged Visits

Found it 173     Didn't find it 5     Write note 6     Publish Listing 1     Needs Maintenance 2     Owner Maintenance 3     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 34 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated:
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.