In the early 18th century this site produced coal for local use with a series of bell pits.
The first shaft was sunk in 1846 and was officially opened by a Mr Barnes the colliery owner in 1880.
By 1896 the colliery had 60 miles of workings and was the first in Derbyshire to have pit baths built in 1929.
Sadly on the 19th November 1933 14 men were killed and 8 were injured in an explosion.
In 1970 the colliery unfortunatly closed. However the National Coal Board Training Centre was located next to the colliery and trained miners from across Derbyshire.
The cache is a tupperwear box style container.