Skip to content

For Your Amusement - Erie Beach Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

sxrxnrr: Thanks to everyone who found this cache and the series.

More
Hidden : 8/19/2009
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
2.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Related Web Page

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

The sixth hide in our series of stand alone caches that will each contain a digit for the elusive final. This hide is a camo taped pill bottle with only room for a log and a clue. We knew we couldn't even try to create a cache out here that was even close to how amazing the other Erie Beach hide is. We also knew we couldn't pass up the chance to include this amazing area in our series. Pack a picnic lunch and spend an afternoon exploring and caching in this park and you won't be sorry.

ERIE BEACH
The park started as a simple picnic ground. It was founded by Benjamin & Edwin Baxter and W.B. Pierce. Besides catering to Canadians, Erie Beach was advertised to Americans in Buffalo as an encouragement to get away from the city for a break.
An outing to Erie Beach began with a trip on the Fort Erie ferry, with passengers transferring to The Fort Erie, Snake Hill Pacific Railroad to arrive at the grove.
Improvements such as the Lighthouse Slide increased patronage to the point that the 65-room Erie Beach Hotel was built in 1905, turning day trips into overnight ones and making the park a small resort. In 1915, an immense swimming pool, billed as the "World's Largest", was constructed next to the Casino to augment the less-superior lake swimming area.
Erie Beach was a prosperous area visited by many until the late 20's.
Unfortunately, by 1930, Erie Beach could no longer sustain its existence and so ceased operations at the close of Labour Day. The property and assetts were bought by the Crystal Beach owners as a way to stem possible future competition. Some of the attractions that went to Crystal Beach included the miniature train, games, a "Blue Streak" train (which was used on The "Giant" coaster), and other rides.
The boardwalk, Casino and the hotel remained. The hotel burned in 1935, and the Casino was eventually abandoned. In 1975 or 76, its remains were demolished as being unsafe. As of a number of years ago, remnants of the park were still visible in the form of ride footings and the partial foundations of the swimming pool and roller rink. Some of the "Old Mill" troughs were still to be found a decade or more ago grown up by trees, but it's not known if they still exist somewhere in this overgrown forest today.

***Check out the AMAZING coaster video at the top of the page in related links for a true blast from the past***

Please feel free to share any additional information, stories, links, or memories here.
Happy cachin'

Additional Hints (No hints available.)