Skip to content

Church Micro 858 Kilbride Parish Church Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

Croaghan: Archived at the request of the landowner.

Many thanks,

Niall

Croaghan - Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

More
Hidden : 9/11/2009
Difficulty:
1 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Saint Brides Parish Chuch Kilbride Newtownabbey this is a small micro



Saint Brides Parish Chuch Kilbride Newtownabbey.

History of the Church

The history of Kilbride dates back to around the 5th century and the earliest period of Christianity in the country. Kilbride meaning Church of Bride or Bridgid, derived it’s name from the foremost woman in the early Celtic Church. Bridgid was born around the year 453 shortly after St Patrick’s arrival in Ireland. After converting to Christianity herself she converted many others, cared for the poor and founded the Christian settlement in Kildare. There are many other Churches and parishes in Ireland named after her and dedicated to her honour. She died in the year 525.

From early Christian beginnings to the present day the parish has been home to five, although some say six, parish Churches. The first of those was at RASHEE, (Rath-saithe) from the Irish meaning “Fort of the fairies”. This Church was founded by St. Patrick in the 5th century and although it’s not certain when the Church disappeared the site still contains a burial ground to this day. This second Church was situated close to Doagh village and also had a burial ground, although all traces of both are long since gone. The third Church was situated in the middle of what is now the burial ground adjoining Kilbride Presbyterian Church. This third Church succeeded the previous in the thirteenth century, although it’s not clear when it ceased to be used, it was noted as being in a state of decay in 1657. Also in the thirteenth century we meet the forth parish Church which was situated in Doagh village. The first mention of St Mary’s, as it was called, was in the year 1251when the care of it was given to the clergy of Muckamore Abbey. Although St. Mary’s fell into decay sometime after the middle of the sixteenth century the west gable wall still stands clad with ivy in the middle of the cemetery to this day GC1JRNB Historic DOAGH .



This left the Grange of Doagh and Kilbride without a parish Church, Doagh was united to Kilbride and Kilbride in turn was united to Donegore around 1622 a unification which lasted for a period of 242 years until 1864. By 1853 the inconvenience of travelling back and forth to St. John’s at Donegore prompted the Reverend George Henry McDowell Johnstone to build a Church within the parish close to his own home at Ballyhamage. This was considered by many to be the fifth parish Church in the area although it was never consecrated. The bishop was angered by the fact that he was never consulted regarding the building of the Church and also that the Church shared a common wall with the Rectory, Mr Johnstons home, in which an adjoining doorway had been opened. It was however licenced for public worship, and became known as The Chappel of Ease. In 1864 the Rev. Francis Charles Young was appointed Rector of Kilbride parish and set about the building of a parish Church. St. Brides, the fifth parish Church in the area was opened and consecrated in 1868 and remains the parish Church to this day.
The cache was placed with the kind permission of the Rev Paul Redfern Rector of Kilbride Parish Church and vestry

If anyone would like to expand on this series please do, but first please contact sadexploration so that he can keep track of the Church numbers and names to avoid duplication.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Gur fcvqre va gur ahefrel elzr pyvzrq vg

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)