SideTracked (ish) - Cranmore
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A camouflaged 35mm film pot containing a log only.Please bring your own pen or pencil to log.Parking available close by.Cache is a few feet off of the lane.No need to enter any railway property.
Cranmore station was opened for passengers on 9th November 1858 with the opening of the Witham (Somerset) to Shepton Mallet (High Street) section of the East Somerset Railway.By 1st March 1862 the line had extended to Wells (East Somerset).By 1870 the Cheddar Valley and Yatton Railway reached Wells at the city's third station Wells (Priory Road).
Passenger traffic lasted until 9th September 1963 with the closure to passengers of the entire Witham to Yatton line. Goods ceased on 17th January 1966 apart from the private siding used by the local bitumen depot.
The East Somerset Railway centre opened on the station site in 1975 under the patronage of the artist David Sheppard.
Trains commenced running to Merryfield Lane Halt on 4th April 1980. The line has subsequently been extended to the outskirts of Shepton Mallet with a terminus at Mendip Vale Station.
Fgngvba fvqr,Penazber raq.