Named after the Fitzwilliam family, Earls of Merrion, who developed this land as part of their great estate on the southside of the Liffey, this estate was laid out between 1760 and 1850. The land acquired by the Fitzwilliam family was leased from the City Corporation and as it was a single block, this lent it a cohesiveness that was lacking in the Gardiner Estate, which was developed and bought in small parcels.
Nearby Fitzwilliam Street was once the longest expanse of intact Georgian architecture anywhere in the world, but was destroyed in the 1970s when the ESB knocked a row of houses to develop a new Head Office
This cache has been adopted so that it will live on. In memory of a good friend.
Alan Shiel “Hezekiah” 1950 - 2014