Skip to content

Amyton Church Traditional Cache

Hidden : 12/6/2009
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   regular (regular)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Related Web Page

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Amyton in the Hundred of Pinda named by Governor Jervois after his eldest daughter, Amy. The town was surveyed in 1879 into 204 house allotments and 180 larger blocks and parklands and proclaimed on 10 April 1879 and at one time had four buildings and many temporary constructions.

Amyton was laid out in a rectangular shape running in a North South direction. It had the usual North, South, East and West Terraces, suburban lots and even parklands. The town itself had 204 allotments which were divided by the North-South running First Street between East and West Terrace. It also had a main square between 4th and 5th streets with a creek running through the middle of it.

The town plan also included provisions for a school, slaughter area and cemetery. One of the first stone buildings completed in 1878 was the Methodist Church. The foundation stone for it had been laid by Mrs Metcalf. This building was used for some time as a school until a separate school building became available. The Church on land donated by Joseph Kenner was badly needed as previously services had been conducted in private homes.

The school opened in 1881 and closed in 1930.

Comment on local farming in the Register, 20 December 1905.

Most of the farmers of the Amyton district have come to the conclusion that on account of the uncertainty of the rainfall wheat growing only is out of the question; therefore they have combined wheat growing and dairying with the result that financially they are in much better circumstances than when they depended on wheat alone. In fact, many find that on account of the good variety of summer fodders, such as saltbush and blue bush, their returns from dairying surpass that from wheat growing.
A photograph of the town's main street is in the Observer of 22 January 1910, page 30. (visit link)

PLEASE Put cache back EXACTLY as it was placed! Thanks!

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Pbeare fgbar

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)