Town Name: Mapleton
Reason For Becoming a Lost Town: Proximity to Midland
caused a lack of heavy development, and it has also been annexed as
part of the city.
Town History: Before becoming Mapleton, this area was
called "The Bluffs." The first settler was John A. Whitman, who
made it his home (and farm) in 1844. Across the river from his farm
was the Blackbird Indian Reservation.
Later down the line, the area came to be known as "Smith's
Crossing." In fact, across the river from this cache, the road
continues as Smith's Crossing Road. During the lumbering era,
Mapleton was a passenger stop for trains, and allowed easy access
to Midland.
Information from the Ingersoll
Township website.
This is part of
the Lost Town cache series!