How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The cache is a small round black tube with only a log. There should be a pen in the cache but please bring your own pencil just in case.
Located near (but not inside) the University Train Halt.
The Coleraine-Portrush line is a short branch railway line in Northern Ireland between the town of Coleraine in County Londonderry and the seaside resort of Portrush in County Antrim. The line, which is operated by Northern Ireland Railways, now has two intermediate stopping places and connects to the main Belfast-Derry line at Coleraine.
As of summer 2007 there are twenty trains each way on weekdays (one each through to/from Belfast and Derry). The line has for long been operated by diesel multiple units: as of 2007 the NIR 450 Class sees some replacement by the newer 3000 Class.
The line was built as part of the Ballymena, Ballymoney, Coleraine and Portrush Junction Railway, authorised in 1853. The engineer was Charles Lanyon and the contractor and major sponsor of the line was William Dargan. It was opened in 1855. In 1860 a junction with the Derry line was made at Coleraine, leaving the line from there to the terminus at Portrush as a branch.
Winter services were suspended from 1960, but opening of the New University of Ulster near Coleraine saw them restored, together with the addition of new halts at University (1968) and Dhu Varren (1969), to cater for student travel.
Guvf jba'g yrg lbh penfu naq ohea,
Gb svaq gur pnpur jura vg'f lbhe ghea.