Congratulations to TazD for FTF!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Most Americans of a certain age fondly remember the excitement of NASA's Apollo program--but before Apollo, even before Gemini, there were many unsung heroes and heroines working hard to make space travel a reality. At the very least, they faced discomfort and danger; sometimes the knowledge they gathered cost their lives. This cache is a salute to those early pioneers who broke the bonds of gravity, escaped the well (however briefly), and saw Earth from afar for the first time.
Consider the following:
1) This astronaut's groundbreaking 1961 flight proved it was possible to stay clear-headed enough to perform tasks during spaceflight.
2) Name this early French astronaut who had electrodes implanted in his skull before his 1963 mission to allow scientists to measure neural impulses during spaceflight.
3) In 1966 this hardy pair of cosmonauts set a mission duration record that stood until Skylab 2 in 1974.
4) Caroline Kennedy adopted one of this heroic cosmonaut's children in 1961.
5) These space travelers, first to fly beyond Earth's atmosphere in 1947, carried a cargo of corn seeds to help scientists study the effects of radiation exposure at high altitudes.
6) This rocketry pioneer was one of the primary designers of the vehicle which hurled the early astronauts in Question #5 into space.
7) Curiously, 4 brave fliers launched into space from White Sands, NM in the late 1940s all shared this same first name.
8) In 1951, this cosmonaut mysteriously disappeared the day before her launch date, but returned safely a day later; the launch proceeded without a hitch.
9) This unsung astronaut with an improbably Shakespearean name traveled into space with 11 mice as his companions.
10) This orphan rose to great heights, becoming first to orbit the Earth in 1957.
The cache is located at:
N 43 AB.CDE
W 077 FG.HIJ
A = (5th letter of Answer #10) - 1
B = 23 - (1st letter of 2nd part of name for #6)
C = (3rd letter of #8) + (5th letter of #8)
D = (7th letter of 1st name in #3) - (7th letter in 2nd name)
E = (3rd letter of #7)
F = (5th letter of #9)
G = (4th letter of #2) - (3rd letter of #8)
H = (1st letter of #1) - 1
I = (4th letter of #4) - 3
J = (1st letter of #5) + 1