Swartkop Trail #6: West Blockhouse
(previously called Blockhouse Gap: Blockhouse 2)

The cache, a small cylindrical camo-container, is hidden in the wall of the blockhouse. Please replace carefully as found – especially considering the muggling of the original cache at this site!
It is a replacement for The Huskies cache Boer Block 4 – WC (GCY8RY) placed on 11 September 2006 which had 11 finds, was muggled some time after the last find on 11 September 2009 and subsequently archived on 30 March 2010.
It is hidden in the more westerly of the two ruined blockhouses in Blockhouse Gap, a low saddle running between Swartkop (678m) to the south-east (the highest peak in the southern half of the Cape Peninsula) and Simonsberg (564m) to the north-west which directly overlooks Simon’s Town.
It is easily accessed by an excellent trail (The Blockhouse Gap or Old Mule Trail) which starts in Simon’s Town and provides stunning views throughout. The gap can be reached after approx 50 minutes gradual ascent from the trail head.
Depending on time and energy available, the cache may conveniently be combined with one or more of the 14 other highly recommended caches in the Gap, and along both the Simonsberg and Swartkop Ridges.
TO REACH THE CACHE:
Park at the end of Jan Smuts Drive at S 34 11.964 E 18 26.909 and take the jeep track heading up the hill. Follow this around and up to the right.
At S 34 12.042 E 18 26.756 on a sharp left bend turn off to the right at the signpost to start up the Blockhouse Gap Trail. This gradually ascends across the lower slopes of Simonsberg winding and contouring its way up towards the gap.
At S 34 12.585 E 18° 26.792 pass the junction to the first blockhouse - location of the Blockhouse Gap cache (GC1T6FH) – and continue on the path over the saddle.
At S 34 12.621 E 18 26.738 pass the junction with the trail leading up Swartkop. Carry on from here over the saddle for about 50m and where there is a large flat rock on the trail find @ S 34 12.638 E 18 26.712 an overgrown path heading south to the blockhouse some 30m away.

An internet search revealed the following limited information on the blockhouses:
‘In the run-up to and during the First World War, considerable attention was given to the re-arming of existing coast artillery defences around the Cape Peninsula and Durban, without constructing new ones, with the exception of King George V Battery at Milnerton in table Bay, which was built and armed with two 4.7-inch QF guns in late 1914; this battery was disarmed and closed down in 1929 and no mention of it occurs during the Second World War. The only other defensive structures of which the author is aware are two single-storeyed octagonal masonry blockhouses, measuring 5.2m across externally, with steel plate loopholes and monopitched corrugated iron roofs - very similar in style to the blockhouses of a decade before - protecting Blockhouse Nek, Simon's Town (1914)’
FORTRESS STUDY GROUP: Fort 34: Three Centuries of Fortifications in South Africa 1652 to 1958 Richard Tomlinson
