Green Doors and Spam Traditional Geocache
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
In 1872, Immediately following the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, James McCole built this two-story balloon frame wooden structure with a detached cottage in the rear. Following the fire, Chicago passed a fire code ordinance prohibiting construction of wooden commercial buildings in the Central Business District. 678 North Orleans is one of the few remaining frame structures built prior to this fire ordinance.
The Racking (leaning) of the building occurred shortly after the building settled and has been that way for over 100 years.
In 1921, Vito Giacomoni opened the Huron-Orleans Restaurant here, which became famous for the patrons it served. The Huron-Orleans was then passed to sons Jack and Nello, who operated the basement as a speakeasy during Prohibition – one of the first in the downtown area, which attracted a clientele partially comprised of Chicago gangsters.
To get a good view of the leaning building stand at the SE corner of Orleans and Huron.
coords tweaked using google earth.
Congrats goes to hfs207 for the FTF and this also being their FFTF!
abg ba gur tebhaq