Skip to content

Площа Ринок / Rynok square Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

one.woman: Sorry...
Too crowded place.

1.5 out of 5
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!


How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

[UA] Магнітний нано-контейнер без олівця.

[EN] Magnetic nano container without pencil.

The Rynok Square

Rynok Square in Lviv is a central square of the city of Lviv, Ukraine. It was planned in the second half of the 14th century, following granting city rights by Polish king Casimir III, who annexed Red Ruthenia. The king ordered Lviv to be moved more to the south, where a new city was built to the plan of a traditional European settlement: a central square surrounded by living quarters and fortifications. Old, Ruthenian Lviv had become a suburb of the new city.

The square is rectangular in shape, with measurements of 142 meters by 129 meters and with two streets radiating out of every corner. In the middle there was a row of houses, with its southern wall made by the Town Hall. However, when in 1825 the tower of the Town Hall burned, all adjacent houses were demolished and a new hall, with a 65-meter tower, was built in 1835 by architects J. Markl and F. Trescher.

Around the square, there are 44 tenement houses, which represent several architectural styles, from Renaissance to Modernism. In the four corners, there are fountains—wells from early 19th century, probably designed by Hartman Witwer. The sculptures represent mythological figures, such as Neptune, Diana, Amphitrite and Adonis. In front of the Town Hall, there is a pillory.

In 1998 the Market Place, together with the historic city center of Lviv, was recognized as a UNESCO world heritage site.

Passage Andreolli

In 1803 the house (29, Rynok Square) was bought by Domenico Andreolli from Switzerland in 1825 and founded the one of the first in Ukraine confectionery. Andreolli's shop has successfully existed the longest among all similar institutions - more than 50 years. In 1850 in this building in store of A. Fedorovskyi were sold first stamps in Lviv. In a passage between two old stone buildings in the XVIII century was arranged a trading passage from Market Square on Teatralna street, that gave a name to "Passage Andreolli."

Cache history:

07/26/2010 Hidden by madam_aleks in metal lion on Rynok Square
05/02/2011 Restored by david4603 and kapsa
06/27/2011 Restored by Ottik5+6+Alice5 and ottik6
09/10/2011 Restored by madam_aleks
11/17/2011 Restored by HeBeSi
05/08/2012 Restored by -CJ-
07/09/2014 Restored by islander1988
07/15/2014 Transferred from madam_aleks to one.woman
10/12/2014 Restored by
Special thanks to all these geocachers for helping keep this cache in the game!

Flag Counter

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Zhttyrf!!! N srj fgrcf vagb gur cnffntr. Oruvaq gur yrsg sybjre. Cubgbuvag jvyy uryc lbh ;)

Decryption Key


(letter above equals below, and vice versa)