(WWII) Pillbox 401a - Shing Mun (Ammo Box)
In Hong Kong
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The First Ammo Box Cache in Hong Kong
Congratulate to FTF Kinglee & Worldgazer, whom hit the cache straight forward on ground (Sorry for forget to mention Terrain Rating will be 3.5-4 in case access on surface :-P)
*** Cache placed at PB401a which remain in much rough condition, while the other part PB401b had been clean out by volunteer recently on Dec 4, 2011 ***
In respond the gain of Japanese threat in Far East, British decide to build the Gin Drinkers Bay Defense Line for strengthen the defense force of Hong Kong in 1930s. Afterward, British adjust the defense strategy, and focus on Singapore only in far east region. Thus, no more important reinforcement deploy to Hong Kong, and Hong Kong Government decide to consolidate defense force in Hong Kong Island, and leave a few sentry in Kowloon & New Terrance for delay enemy’s attack.
Dec 8, 1941 – Japs invade Hong Kong after bomb Pearl Harbour. British expect Gin Drinkers Bay Defense Line can last for one week, but sorry for leak of manpower, some area, such of pillbox 401 (PB401 – cache zone) of Shing Mun Position had no sentry at all. After scout, Japs got the status and breakthrough from this weak point, overrun the Shing Mun Position of Gin Drinkers Bay Defense Line in a few hours only after start the attack in Dec 9 evening. The General Commander of Hong Kong order the remain force withdraw to Hong Kong Island on Dec 10 noon. Finally, Hong Kong fall on Dec 25, 1941.
因應日本於遠東的威脅與日俱增, 英國於二十世紀三十年代決定於構築醉酒灣防線以增強香港防禦力量. 然而, 隨著英國防衛策略改變, 其遠東的重心集中至新加坡, 二戰前無重大增援至香港, 港府亦只好調整本土防衛策略, 將香港防衛重心集中至香港島, 而九龍及新界只留下少量部隊守備, 只圖遲滯敵人進攻.
1941年12月8日, 隨著偷襲珍珠港, 日寇隨即揮軍入侵香港. 英軍原擬醉酒灣防線能抵禦約一週, 然而實際守軍兵力不足, 以至城門段部份, 如401號機鎗堡(PB401 – 藏寶區)等竟未派一兵一卒防守, 日寇偵知後迅速由此突破, 12月9日晚發起攻擊後數小時後醉酒灣防線城門段即告全線失守, 12月10日中午三軍司令下令九龍及新界殘餘守軍開始撤往港島. 最後, 香港於1941年12月25日宣告投降.
- Cache zone should be able to access at ground, access via the covered trench marked “DO NOT ENTER” at your own risk..
- Cache zone is not even, mind the pit
- Safety is most important issue..
- Not suggest visiting alone
The following for trench explorer :
- Safety, Safety, Safety
- Lighting equipment is highly recommended
- Lower section will be flooded after rain
- Some trenches blocked by mud
- To Cache zone, follow the "401" sign in the trench, to leave (TR03), follow “Regent Street” in the trench.
- No Graffiti, damage or littering in the trench or other war ruins
- 藏寶區應可由地表前往, 如決定由政府已標明”請勿內進”之戰壕前往, 責任自負.
- 藏寶區不平有坑洞, 注意安全
- 低窪部份經常積水, 天雨後不宜使用
- 往藏寶區, 請跟隨壕內401標示, 離開(往TR03)請跟隨壕內Regent Street標示
- 勿塗鴉破壞, 遺留垃圾.
Shing Mun Position on TV (visit link)
(First section of the program, in Cantonese, with Chinese subtitle)
(No hints available.)
Last Updated: on 8/20/2017 8:54:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time (3:54 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum