Peitou is famous leisure area for the spa, and has very unique feature from the viewpoint of geological science.
To get this cache, you must do two things. One is to study about the Peitou Stone 北投石, the very rare natural mine in the world, and hot springs. Another one is to soak in the spring in Peitou and answer what you feel.
- First answer the 4 questions of section I and mail me (please do not write the answer to the log).
- After I approve, write the found log with answer of section II, which I want everyone to read.
- Also photos are welcome, and if great photo, please allow me to use in this description.
參觀台北北投溫泉，學習礦石以及體驗SPA。 北投是著名的溫泉休閒區，在地質科學上具有非常獨特的特點。 要獲得此cache，你必須完成兩件事: 一是研究有關北投石這個非常難得的世界級天然礦產，另一則是泡泡北投的溫泉並分享你的感受。
- 先回答步驟一的4個問題，然後用Email寄給我 (請不要將答案寫在網頁上)。
- 我核准您的回答後，請在網頁寫found log以及您的步驟二的答案，可以分享給大家。
Section I: study about the Peitou Stone 北投石 and Peitou Hot Springs (answer the questions and mail to owner)
步驟一: 研究北投石及北投溫泉 (請回答問題，並Email至Cache設置者)
- What is the formal (academic) name of the Peitou Stone (one word), and what's the essential elements of the stone?
Hint: many people thinks Rd (radon, the radioactive element) is the specification, but it is not.
- The Peitou Stone is very rare in the world. Other than Taipei, there're only few places the stone is found. Since it has been believed that the spa dipping the stone is good for the health, the Peitou Stone had been stolen. Both in Taiwan and one of the other countries, it's specified to be protected by the government. What is the name of the other country and the region?
Hint: In Taiwan the "Natural Landscape" 自然地景, in the other one country the "Special Natural Monument".
As the region name, any of the state/province, city name, spa name is OK
- They say there're two kinds of water in Peitou Spa; white and one another. What is the name of color of another one?
- The Thermal Vally is one of the source of hot spring water. How high is the temperature at the source, and how much amount of water disgards at the source?
- 什麼是北投石的正式 (學術上) 名稱 (一個拉丁語單字)? 有什麼基本元素?
提示: 許多人認為是Rd (氡，放射性元素)，但並不是。
- 北投石在世界上非常罕見。除了台北，只有在其他幾個地方可以發現這種石頭。普遍認為在溫泉裡放入北投石對健康有好處，所以有很多北投石被取走。無論是在台灣還是其他有北投石的國家，北投石都受到國家的保護。請問: 除了台灣，還有哪個國家的哪個地區有北投石?
提示: 在台灣叫做“自然景觀” (自然地景)，在另外一個國家則叫做“特別天然紀念物”。答案是國家或縣市名稱、溫泉名稱都行。
Visiting Peitou Hot Spring Museum (waypoint P1) and Thermal Valley (waypoint P2) would be useful to answer this section (usually the museum and the Thermal Valley opens at 9:00-17:00, except Monday).
參觀北投溫泉博物館 (waypoint P1) 和地熱谷 (waypoint P2) 將有助於答題 (地熱谷及溫泉博物館的開放時間為 9:00-17:00，週一公休)。
Section II: feel the spa (write in the log after Section I answer is approved)
步驟二: 體驗溫泉 (步驟一的答案核准之後，請將感想寫在網頁上)
Soak in a spring (hands/feet only soaking is OK), and write what you felt, such as smell, taste, texture of your skin after bathing, effect to your health, etc. Please write first which spring you went (the name of the spring, or coords). There's no "right" answer of this section, so feel free to write.
To feel the spring, there're several ways:
- if you have much time and money: stay in or take short rest (bathing 1-2 hours) in the bath hotel or personal bath space. The luxury one costs for NT$800-2000 per 1-2 hours, the cheaper one for NT$200- per 1 hour. In this case, you do not need swimwear, and family bath is available.
- if you don't want to pay much but want to bathing: public type baths are available. The public Beitou Garden Spa 北投公共露天浴池 (NT$40, waypoint P3) is my suggestion. Need prepare of swimsuits.
- if you only dip your hands/feet into water: river through water includes hot spring water (at some points dirty, however). The free spring spot is shown in waypoints (P4). After raining the amount of water increases and danger (spring water is diluted, anyway).
The picture above is the Thermal Valley. Too high temperature (as QI-4) for soaking in, so please don't. :-)
- 如果你有充裕的時間和金錢：可以在溫泉飯店過夜或利用有個人浴室的澡堂 (洗澡1-2小時)。豪華的一個小時費用大約 800-2000元，比較便宜的一個小時大約 200元～。不需自備泳裝。
- 如果不想花費太多，可選大眾型浴池。推薦北投公共露天浴池 (新台幣 40元，waypoint P3)。需自備泳衣。
- 你也可以在有溫泉水流過的小河溝中只泡泡手腳 （不過有些地方可能不太乾淨），waypoint P4 是免費的。雨後水量增加可能有點危險，而且溫泉水也會被稀釋。
照片顯示的是地熱谷，溫度太高 (QI-4) 請不要去那裡體驗。
- MRT Tamsui (red) line: transfer at Peitou to New Peitou line -(1 station)-> New Peitou Terminal
乘坐捷運淡水 (紅) 線到北投，轉乘新北投線到新北投站。
- bus 216/218/219/223/230/266