The cache is a 35mm film container containing a logbook and a coin for exchange. Please bring a pen with you to sign the logbook.
Church of St. Petka
The construction of the building started in 1935 in place of an old chapel, above a spring which is considered to have miraculous powers. It was completed and revived on the day of St. Petka-Paraskeva, October 27th, 1937. Architect Miomir Korunovic was in charge of the project. While digging the grounds for the Church of St. Petka, the bones of Serbian soldiers died while defending Belgrade in 1914-1915 were found.
After this discovery, the Mausoleum of Belgrade Defenders was built. It is located in the wall beneath Jaksic’s Tower. The mausoleum was built in 1937 after the reconstruction of the tower and erection of St. Petka’s Church. It preserves the bones of Serbian defenders who died while defending Belgrade during the period between 1914 and 1915.
The church was dedicated to the holiday of the Birth of the Mother of God. The building was at first used as one of the three powder magazines constructed during the period of Austrian reconstruction of the Fortress. In 1867, after the Serbs restored the Fortress into their power, the powder building, with an added bell tower, was turned into a church named “Ruzica” (meaning ‘small rose’). During the First World War it was greatly damaged, but it was subsequently repaired and renovated in detail. In 1924, two bronze figures, which are the work of N. P. Krasnov, were put up at the entrance of the church, one representing a medieval knight and the other a soldier from the First World War.