Kuang Si Waterfalls EarthCache
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The first earthcache in Laos! Located about 30km from Luang Prabang, this series of waterfalls is a short tuk-tuk ride from town (and is the "waterfall?" you will hear from many drivers). I'd recommend a full day visit though the cache can be done quickly, and don't forget to bring your swimming gear for a dip and good shoes if you plan to climb to the top! There is a nominal fee to enter the site, but altogether the ride+fee should be under US$10 depending on your negotiation skills.
Although the coordinates are for a spot near a favorite (and tallest) of the waterfalls in the park, any waterfall in the park can be used to log this earthcache.
For this cache, consider how your waterfall falls into the different types or classifications of waterfalls:
• Block – Water descends from a relatively wide stream or river.
• Cascade - Water descends a series of rock steps.
• Cataract - A very large and powerful waterfall.
• Fan – Water spreads horizontally as it descends while remaining in contact with bedrock.
• Horsetail – Descending water maintains some contact with bedrock.
• Chute: A large quantity of water forced through a narrow, vertical passage.
• Plunge - Water descends vertically, losing contact with the bedrock surface.
• Punchbowl – Water descends in a constricted form, then spreads out in a wider pool.
• Segmented – Distinctly separate flows of water form as it descends.
• Tiered – Water drops in a series of distinct steps or falls
• Multi-step - A series of waterfalls one after another of roughly the same size each with its own sunken plunge pool.
Requirements to log this cache: (please do not place you or any member of your party in any danger to log these requirements)
1. In your log, post the coordinates of your chosen waterfall (a picture is encouraged but optional). I'd love to see your faces in the picture!
2. Using the waterfall classification guide above, what classification of waterfall do you believe your chosen waterfall is?
3. Estimate the height of the waterfall and how deep you think the plunge pool happens to be at the time of your visit (if your waterfall has one). Does it appear to be the rainy or dry season?
Make sure you have all the information when you log this cache, as incomplete logs will be deleted. No email is required to log this cache so long as you have all the information for your chosen waterfall!
Because some have asked, this cache can NOT be logged retroactively, ie before the cache was placed/ you knew about geocaching! (Sorry, but in addition to visiting the site you also need to answer specific questions at the site so allowing such logs would be against the spirit of the Earthcache. As someone who traveled to 5 continents before I knew about caching trust me, I feel your pain, but I hope this gives you an excuse to revisit this amazing site someday!)
(No hints available.)