Skip to content

Kawau Island Copper Mine EarthCache

Hidden : 11/3/2010
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
3 out of 5

Size: Size:   not chosen (not chosen)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Historic Kawau Island

Kawau Island in Auckland’s Hauraki Gulf was the site of one of New Zealand’s earliest mining ventures. Later it became the island home of Sir George Grey, one of New Zealand’s most influential and controversial political figures.
Kawau Island Historic Reserve was created to protect Mansion House, Sir George Grey’s former home, and the gardens and landscape he created, together with sites and relics from the historic copper industry. The reserve is a popular destination for visitors arriving by ferry or pleasure craft.
Today about 10 percent of the island is protected as publicly owned reserves managed by the Department of Conservation. The remainder of the island is privately owned with a small resident population.

History of Kawau

Kawau is associated with the early ancestor Toi te huatahi from whom comes the island’s traditional name ‘Te Kawau tumaro o Toi’. The island is reputed to have been settled by descendants of Toi and later by descendants of the crews of the Arawa and Tainui canoes.
For three centuries the island was occupied by the people known as Ngati Tai who were later defeated by the Te Kawerau iwi, specifically Ngati Manuhiri.
During the 18th century there was continuing conflict between the resident Kawerau and the Marutuahu confederation of tribes from the Hauraki area over access to the shark fishing grounds.
Kawau was later abandoned after the musket war raids in the 1820s by Ngapuhi, and remained unoccupied until the 1830s. In this period the Ngati Manuhiri hapu of Te Kawerau and Ngatiwai returned to the island and the adjoining coastline where they remain to this day.
After protracted debate over ownership Kawau was sold in the 1840s to W.T. Fairburn of the North British Australasian Loan and Investment Company.

Historic copper industry

The Tryphena sailed from Auckland on 14 April 1844 with the letter and passengers, a Mrs Wright and two children, and Messrs Joseph, Bradbury, and Keen on board, and a cargo of manganese ore. She arrived in Sydney on 5 May 1844.

The Kawau Company, formed by Mr Beattie, instructed another of their agents Mr John Taylor to engage a professional copper miner in Sydney. Taylor came to Auckland with instructions to employ miners and open the Kawau mine. He inspected the workings in November 1844, shortly after the mine had opened and then returned to Sydney, reporting to Mr Beattie that the copper prospects were good. His advice was passed on to the investment company back in Scotland where it was well received, and capital was increased to 50,000 pounds. A mining Captain (Ninnis), carpenter, and miners from Cornwall were engaged, and these men sailed from Falmouth in June 1845.

The start of mining

The Kawau company built a village for the miners and their families in the bay they called Garlick Bay (later Mansion House Bay), spending about 23,000 pounds. Included was a house for the mine manager (Ninnis) and a street with houses on either side for the workers and their families, and a jetty. Some of the families built houses at other nearby locations. By 1848 there were about 220 people on the island.
A traditional Cornish Pumphouse was erected to house a 50 horsepower steam engine, driving a Cornish mine pump, after a smaller engine was found insufficient for dewatering as the workings extended.
The copper lode ran roughly north-south, outcropping on a steep spur on the coast where the main mine adit and Cornish Pumphouse was located. Some land was reclaimed at the end of the spur to provide a platform area for working and for stockpiling ore prior to shipment from a jetty at the mine location.
Although the lode could not be described as an extensive mineral deposit it was a rich sulphide orebody. However, an inappropriate grant of land (below high water mark) adjacent to the Kawau Company's workings to Lawyer Mr Frederick Whittaker and Mr Theophilus Heale of Auckland caused considerable trouble. These persons proceeded to also mine the same copper lode, using the Kawau Company's reclaimed land to enable their operations to be conducted. Briefly, the Grant was in exchange for a land allotment (No 16) in Auckland Town, wanted by the Surveyor General to commence a defence plan on Albert Hill. The landward boundary was defined as high water mark, so the Grant included the Kawau Company's reclaimed land.

The reclaimed land at Kawau was essential to the Kawau Company's operations and without doubt they also intended mining the part of the copper lode now possessed by Whitaker and Heal as a result of the Grant. Protracted litigation and communications went all the way to Mr Gladstone in London as the Kawau Company desperately tried to get a just resolution while Whittaker and Heale continued mining. Up to 17 November 1846, according to customs returns, Whitaker and Heale had already exported 469 tons of copper ore valued at 7,840 pounds.
However there was a turn for the better when the new Governor George Grey arrived at the end of November 1845 for his first term in New Zealand. The Kawau Company petitioned him upon the subject and at the same time also petitioned Mr Gladstone on the injustices they had sustained through their agent in London. Mr Gladstone forwarded a copy of the Kawau Company?s complaint to Governor Grey and indicated the view that if the statements were true the Kawau Company had every reason to complain.
Governor Grey agreed and after taking advice from the Attorney-General, an application was made to the Supreme Court successfully repealing the Grant to Whitaker and Heale. The Court (Lord Grey) recommended that the land between high and low water be included in the grant to the Kawau Company and that was done, defining the title boundary of Kawau Island as mean low water mark.

Whittaker and Heale not only mined copper ore from below high water mark but tunnelled toward the Kawau Company's landward workings on the same lode, and because their shaft was to seaward and only protected from the sea by a timber collar at the surface the Kawau Company's mine was already exposed to risk of flooding. John Taylor directed his miners to dig toward the sea, in the direction of the rival mine to confirm his suspicions and they reached the workings of Whittaker and Heal on the Kawau Company land, about 12 feet to landward of high water mark. Captain Ninnis, the Kawau Company's mining engineer knocked down the partition of ore between the two mines and caught Whittaker and Heale?s men in the act. The connecting of the two mine workings directly to the sea through Whittaker's Shaft led to flooding of both mines several years later when the timber collar inevitably failed.

Mine working and ore smelting

The Kawau copper lode is contained in silicified greywacke and dips downward at a high angle. Above ground water level the sulphide is well weathered and oxidised to sulphate, the blue copper sulphate being easily seen in the exposure on the spur. Lower down in the lode there is a transition through an enriched zone where copper from the weathered ore above has been transported and re-deposited, and below that again is the relatively unaltered primary ore of lower grade. Workings commenced in the enriched zone which about at the top of the permanent ground water region, and mine development then proceeded on three levels. As the mining progressed toward the unaltered primary ore the Kawau Company found in January 1847 that the sulphides underwent an exothermic reaction aboard ship. The shipments of ore, released from the underground pressure and exposed to the air heated and swelled dangerously on the way to smelting works in Wales. As a result some Kawau ore shipments were stockpiled in Australia and others disposed of at sea to save the vessel.
To overcome the difficulties a decision to build a smelting works was made in November 1848 with construction proceeding during 1849 in a bay on the north side of Bon Accord Harbour. Both the Cornish pumphouse at the mine and the smelting works building were made from sandstone blocks quarried at Matakana on the mainland.

A party of smelters was engaged in Swansea in Wales and sent out to Sydney where they worked for six months at Port Jackson, experimenting with Kawau ore stockpiled there before continuing on to Kawau. At the Kawau works the sulphide ore was smelted and cast into copper regulus blocks and the slag was also cast into blocks. The casting was done in pits in the floor of the smelting house building. The copper regulus blocks of about two cubic feet in volume were then shipped overseas for further refining. Some of the slag blocks were later used to construct pillars at the landward end of the Mansion House Bay jetty in Bon Accord Harbour, and for foreshore retaining structures. It is thought that others may have been dispersed as ships ballast.
Operations at the smelting works produced quantities of sulphur dioxide fumes as the sulphide ore was smelted and to avoid the acrid fumes the Welsh workers and their families moved further down the harbour to a place they nostalgically named Swansea Bay.

After the mine closed about 1855 Mr Alexander Harris continued to stay on as caretaker and to run a store and post office. He was there when Sir George Grey purchased Kawau in 1862 and his daughter Elsie became housekeeper for Sir George Grey.

THIS EARTHCACHE

To claim a find on this earthcache you will need to perform the tasks described below.
Failure to provide the required answers via the email link on my profile page, or upload the required photo with your online log may result in your log being removed.
(Do not put answers in as a log)

(1) - How big were the copper regulus blocks ........The answer to this question must be emailed to the cache owner.

(2) - On the information board at GZ what is the 5 word title...... The answer to this question must be emailed to the cache owner.

(3) - When at GZ count how many window holes are still intact, and measure the lower window opening dimensions (roughly is ok)........The answer to this question must be emailed to the cache owner.

(4) - From the published coordinates, or nearby please take a photo of the main attraction showing your GPS unit. (please make sure your GPS unit is visible in the photo) This photo should be uploaded with your online log once permission is granted

There are regular ferries that leave from Sandspit and take you to Mansion House.
It is approx a 30min walk to GZ.
Please take care with kids on walk and at GZ as water close by

Additional Hints (No hints available.)