-
Difficulty:
-
-
Terrain:
-
Size:
 (regular)
Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions
in our disclaimer.
I've worked here for a year and wondered why no one had put one around here, even though this camp plays a rather important role in the community.
___A short history___
Discovery of the Camp Site.
An Auckland YMCA Boysworks Division camp under the leadership of George Adair, went tramping on Labour weekend October 1913 after hearing it was an 8 mile tramp from Papakura to the falls. With an unsuccessful attempt to reach the falls, George with a party of ten older boys eventually came across a field and set up camp and stayed the night. George liked it so much he decides to take another camp there in December. This is the very start to what would be known as Camp Adair.
First Camp.
The first camp was held in December 1913 - January 1914 after George returned from his study course in the USA. Camp Hunua (Before known as Camp Adair), was run for six weeks, where all personnel walked the railroad, approximately 11 miles to camp from Papakura. It wasn't till 1923 when transport via truck to camp was made available. An average of 35 boys attended each week and a profit of nine pounds, nine shillings and sixpence was recorded. They would sport 10 by 12 foot tents and enjoy camp fires and sing along's; one of the most important and favourite activities, and still present in modern times. Tramping was an important feature to these camps, as well as activities including archery, skittles, camp concerts, model boat races, swimming, tug of war and sports to name a few. The camp core belief involved being with god in the outdoors, thinking about others before themselves and getting in touch with nature. In 1926 George Adair brought the campsite of 10.5 acres from farmer McConnell.
Original Buildings.
The first building was the cook house that was erected on opening day. The original lodge was opened in 1928, with assistance of the Auckland Rotary who contributed 800 pounds towards the cost. Most of the cabins were built in the immediate pre-war and post-war years. The accommodation of the lodge camp stood for many years, accommodating 150 persons. In 1933, 200 kahikateas (White Pines) were planted by George Adair. This stand grew to what in known today as "The Grove". This area in later years became the site of low and high ropes course. The next year 4 cabins were erected, numbered 1-4 by old boys and fathers. As the camp expanded, so did the popularity, averaging at 220 boys per day, and more cabins and a recreation centre were needed to meet demand. In 1933-34 a second group of cabins A-D were erected by Mr Perkin ans his son. Later on donations were made to include a play field, and in 1953 Swing Bridge were built. The equipment store was built in 1936 and was the original recreation centre, known as the "T.O.T.OF" building (Think of The Other Fellow).
First Milestone.
The first initial milestone was the celebration of 25 years of operation when in 1938 the camp officially became known as YMCA Camp Adair (Previously known as Camp Hunua). On Sunday 8 January 1939, 800 people gathered at the Camp entrance to celebrate and dedicate the Silver Jubilee Entrance and Gates. The original gate pillars and entrance was still stand today.
Changing Times.
In 1945 George Adair retired after 35 years as Director of the Boy's Division at the Auckland YMCA. In 1950 W.H.Elliot "Skip" became Camp Director and remained with the YMCA for many years. The initial idea for the new development was established in 1974, with the Board making the decision to develop the Camp rather than let it run down, realising the it was a tremendous community asset. $200 000 was required for the development and a campaign was ably led by Mr. Grahame Glaister, the then president, to raise the finance. A grant was received from the Ministry of Sport and Recreation of $90 000 and the work put in hand.
Full time Director/Other Villages built.
The Board decided that a full-time Camp Director was necessary to administer the Camp and a Log Cabin home was built in 1975. Also added shortly after this the Parent/Teacher/Leaders log cabin in the lodge camp, giving a more comfortable situation for organizers, with their own toilets and shower facilities. The main development took place during 1975-1976, being based on two villages, namely the Hugh Lambie and Grahame Glaister Villages', each with separate ablution facilities in the one central block. Each Village caters for up to 90 and 96 persons and is ideal for the one or two school class size. Constructed in Log Cabin style, the villages are compact, warm and comfortable each with its own kitchen and dining hall. There were designed using a "Roman Village" concept with the cabins facing inwards towards the camp fire. Provision has been made for disabilities in providing ramps and special ablution facilities. With the two villages taking up valuable open area, negotiations were undertaken to purchase a further nine acres with 1/2 mile of river from the neighbouring farm. This purchase brought the total camp area to 39 acres.
Upgrades.
In 1986, a decision was made to begin to upgrade the original Camp Adair facilities which had stood for over 50 years. Cabins 14 were replaced along with a new Ablution building and Cabins 11-14. Cabins 5-10 were completed in 1988 and named the "Hugh Lambie Wing". This created far more comfortable accommodation for people attending camp.
As a half-round design, the recreation centre was built in 1991 with generous support of Bill Ward of the Waiwera Children's Trust. The then Director, Jack Timmer and programme Director, Richard Redmond spent many hours in the winter months of the previous year, building. Camp Adair has continued to expand its operation to the stage where nearly 14,000 people are catered for each year.
Current.
Today's Camp is a far cry from the row of tents that George Adair first initiated, and has been referred to taking Camp to the next level. The camp is now a year round facility driven through supply and demand. The camp in now operated by full-time staff, core instructors from a large group of instructors and volunteer leaders and programme staff who assist with the running of the YMCA camps; including residential camps, school camps, youth camps, church groups, family groups, pacific island groups, scout & guides groups, search and rescue teams, troubled teenagers, people with disabilities and other community groups. Camp Adair is currently starting to tap into the corporate market, offering team building, "Away seminars" facilities and brainstorming sessions. Camp Adair offers adventure based activities, with over 35 activities using rope course, providing visitors to gain more confidence and self esteem. Camp Adair also prides itself in being environmentally friendly through innovative systems, pig farm for food scraps and a worm farm for organic waste.
Many of people from Auckland will remember their school coming here and some fond memories should come to light.
Cache is a 2l painted sistema container.
Happy caching. :)
Additional Hints
(Decrypt)
Arne
13
1-50
Abg va