SideTracked – Jewellery Quarter
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A magnetic cache placed near to the Jewellery Quarter Railway Station, the diameter of a ten pence coin and about one centimetre deep. The cache is only a log, you will need a pencil or pen to sign the log book.
We have A-Road Anarchy and even Village Vexation. Now a series for public transport users! SideTracked Caches are intended to provide quick cache-and-dashes at train stations. History: The station was opened in 1995, as part of the Jewellery Line Project which saw the re-introduction of cross-city services via Birmingham Snow Hill. The Midland Metro line, from Birmingham to Wolverhampton opened in 1995. No previous station existed at this location, although it is a short distance from the now extinct Hockley station. Hockley station was opened by Great Western Railway in 1854, closing in 1972. The Jewellery Quarter is an area in Hockley, near Birmingham City Centre. The Jewellery Quarter is synonymous with the manufacture of jewellery, coins, medals, and is renowned world wide. The jewellery area of Hockley has only been a distinct "quarter" at the centre of the city's Jewellery industry since the mid-1830s. In a survey carried out in 1553 Mr Roger Pemberton was named one of the first Goldsmiths of Birmingham. Birmingham Assay Office was founded by an Act of Parliament in 1773. By 1880 there were nearly 700 workshops listed in a local directory. This figure may underestimate the number of jewellers there, since not all of them needed to advertise in directories, as they relied on recommendations. The silver and gold manufactured in the city around this period was of exceptionally high quality, with its own anchor assay hallmark. Coins were also manufactured in the Jewellery Quarter and The Birmingham Mint started to produce tokens and coins in 1850, and flourished in the city until a slump in trade and contractual agreements between them and the Royal Mint resulted in the sale of the mint in late 2003. Museum of the Jewellery Quarter, 75-79 Vyse Street, was originally built as a small jewellery factory operating from 1909. Years later, the ageing owners of the factory, sent their workers home, locked up at the end of the last days work. Leaving tools, pieces being worked on, and even part finished mugs of tea, the owners never returned to the factory again. The factory was purchased by Birmingham City Council as an extension to the City Museum. When it was opened up, the factory was exactly as it had been left many years previously, including a mug with a dried tea stain. Services Trains are operated by London Midland. The Monday to Saturday daytime service sees trains approximately every 10 minutes in each direction, from Stourbridge Junction via Birmingham Snow Hill to either Dorridge or Whitlocks End (some beyond Whitlocks End to Stratford-upon-Avon). Most trains continue beyond Stourbridge to Kidderminster, Worcester Foregate Street, or Great Malvern. Chiltern Railways services operate in peak hours only, between Kidderminster and London Marylebone. Unlike London Midland services, which apart from very rare cases always stop, very few Chiltern trains call at Jewellery Quarter. Midland Metro services operate at frequent intervals, between Birmingham Snow Hill and Wolverhampton St Georges. … ~~~ *** ~~~ … SideTracked – Jewellery Quarter (Original) FTF – Jointly: Le Barts & dave 77st STF - TheFitz TTF – The Strangler … ~~~ *** ~~~ …