Skip to content

Solid Rock....erm.....sort of...(Lytchett Lanes 3) Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

Mad Mephams Mayhem: Archived for relocation nearer our new home.

More
Hidden : 12/30/2010
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   other (other)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Overlooking the ancient Church of St Mary, Lytchett Matravers. 3rd in short series in and around the lanes and byways of Lytchett Matravers.

According to an old hymn Christ is the 'solid rock' on which the people of faith stand. You are looking for something along those lines.

Please respect worshipping community of St Marys and avoid using the car park between 8am-12pm on Sunday Mornings. Please be careful on the road when retrieving the cache.

***Please ensure cap of cache is replaced tightly and not cross-threaded as damp logs have have caused cache to be disabled twice***

The Church is open for visitors to look around on Saturday's between 10am & 4pm. It is hoped it will be open on a more frequent basis soon. Anyone wishing to look around the Church can call one of the numbers listed in the noticeboard in the church Car Park. The vicar (and his family) is a geocacher and is happy to chat when available.

Sir Walter Maltravers went on a crusade to the Holy Land and it is possible that he ordered the church to be built beside the manor house in his absence about the year 1200. The west tower, the nave and the chancel were built at this time, followed by the North aisle in the 14th century.

It is possible that the Black Death, which ravaged Dorset in the second half of the 14th century left few people. The villagers forsook their cottages near the church and moved to the higher ground leaving the church to fall into decay. Sir John Maltravers’ heir, his granddaughter Alianor carried the manor and title to her husband’s family, the Fitzalans, Earls of Arundel, who later became the Dukes of Norfolk and are still Barons Maltravers. A great deal of restoration was carried out at the beginning of the sixteenth century by Dame Margarita Clements.

The tower is the oldest part of the building – the arch dates from 1200 whilst the pinnacles, which are carved within the Maltravers fret, are circa 1500. There are six bells, some very old, their dates being displayed in the Tower. The arches on the north side of the nave date from about 1350, when the north aisle was added.

There is also an unusually large Hagioscope or squint giving a view to the chancel and communion table from the north side of the church, although the age and origin of this feature is unknown.

***Renewed and replaced. Please ensure log is replaced as found in the sealed part of the cache container. Wet logs have been reported. ***

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Abg dhvgr gur 'Fbyvq Ebpx', ohg pregnvayl fbzrguvat yvxr gung.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)