Skip to content

Wild Horses Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

Bunjil: Unfortunately there has not been a response (or regular update) from the cache owner within the period requested and, as per the original advice, this cache is now being de-listed (Archived) as abandoned.

If there are components or remnants of the cache, please recover them as we don't want to litter our environment.

If you wish to contact a Reviewer regarding this cache, please send an email via the profile - Bunjil, and quote the Cache Name and GC Identification Code.

More
Hidden : 1/12/2011
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Small roadside metal silhouettes of the Man from Snowy River stand beside the road at both ends of Corryong, declaring that this is Man from Snowy River Country. The claim has considerable legitimacy. Not only is Corryong the Victorian gateway to both the Snowy Mountains and to Kosciuszko National Park but it is generally accepted that a local named Jack Riley was the inspiration for 'Banjo' Paterson's famous poem 'The Man From Snowy River' (1890).

Corryong is quite an attractive older-style country town of some 1500 people which is situated at an elevation of 320 metres and surrounded by spectacular countryside. The mountain peaks, tree-clad ridges, alpine streams and granite boulders render it ideal territory for mountain-biking, canoeing, bushwalking, horseriding, trout fishing, hang-gliding, white-water rafting and scenic drives. It is located 437 km north-east of Melbourne via the Hume Freeway and Murray Valley Highway and 116 km east of Wodonga. Access from NSW is via ThredboVillage and Khancoban.

It is believed that the area was occupied by the Pallanganmiddang Aborigines prior to white settlement. The first cattle station here was established c.1838 and this is still cattle country with local saleyards handling 10 000 head a year. Walwa, 43 km to the north, was the home of Australia's first breed of beef cattle, the Murray Grey, which was widely exported.

Explorer Paul Edmund Strzelecki passed through the area on his way to Gippsland in 1840. The district was opened up for selection in the 1860s and, consequently, a township began to emerge to cater to the needs of the small landowners. A school opened in 1872 and, in 1875, a Mr Miller transferred his store from Koetong to Corryong. The townsite was surveyed in 1879 with land sales proceeding in 1882 - the year the Court House Hotel became the town's first drinking establishment. The name derives from the Aboriginal term 'cooyong' meaning 'bandicoot'.

The town's major annual celebration is the Man From Snowy River Bush Festival in April. It includes a commemorative ride along the route taken by those who brought the dying Jack Riley into town from his mountain home. There is also a bush dance, muster and bush market.

The cache is located at the outskirts of the town. It is a small cache with room for small swaps.

Additional Hints (No hints available.)