The Porte de Hal (French) or Hallepoort (Dutch) is a medieval fortified city gate of the second walls of Brussels.
Built in 1381, Halle Gate is a 14th century city gate from the second set of defensive walls that enclosed Brussels. The gate was named for the city of Halle in Flemish Brabant which it faces.
The original gate included a portcullis and drawbridge over a moat. The structures that housed these are still visible.
While the other six gateways and the defensive walls were demolished, the Halle Gate survived as it was used as a prison. It was at other times used as a customs house, for grain storage, and a Lutheran church.
In March 2007 an extensive restoration begun. The Halle Gate finally reopened on June 6, 2008. Finally the St Gilles entrance was opened as the prestigious main entrance to the building. The museum includes exhibits about the history of the building, and of the city of Brussels and its defense. The collection includes the parade armor of Archduke Albert of Austria (1559-1621).